Chapter Fifty-Eight - Kole

Start from the beginning

    We watch as the crystal continues to crack, slowly reaching its limit. Doctor Light doesn't see this, however, and continues to extract its power.

    "Your machine can't take any more!" Robin tells the villain. I can't help but wonder why he would inform him of this.

    It doesn't seem to matter, as Doctor Light doesn't listen. "Illuminating theory," he says, readying another blast, "but I have the definite advantage!" As he says this, the crystal explodes. It sets off a chain reaction, and the rest of the machine breaks down as well. "... Or not."

    "Look out!" Robin shouts.

    The ice beneath our feet begins to crack, and Raven holds a dome out to protect us all—presumably from the debris. My eyes turn a pale blue and I hold my hands out, slowly bringing the ice back together. The effort's not enough, combined with the act of keeping an eye on Doctor Light in case he tries something.

    "The ice is gonna give!"

    Raven's shield fades away as the ground gives way beneath Doctor Light. He glances at us nervously before letting out a scream as he falls down the forming glacier; the tube that was connected to his suit is stripped from him and the wires sizzle from the energy being emitted.

    "Whoo!" Beast Boy says, breathing a sigh of relief. "That was close."

    As he finishes this sentence, the cracks begin to edge towards us. They instantly appear underneath us, freezing for a moment. "You just had to say it," Raven mutters, and then we fall.

    "Hey, watch where you're going!"

    "I'm following you!"

    I know I can't do anything in the way of pulling the glacier back together, much less without squishing us all in the process. I manage to pull a thick layer of snow in between where we're all about to fall, but it takes all my focus. The snow softens the blow, but when I hit it face first it feels like a brick wall.

    "Everyone okay?"

    I look up, spitting the snow out of my mouth. "What are we gonna do?"

    "Well, can you do anything?" As Robin asks the question, I reach my hand into the snow and push through it. A river lies a few metres below, and I know falling into it is almost inevitable. "Ember?"

    I let out a small noise as I look up. Robin peers down where I was looking and his eyes widen ever so slightly. "Um, no. Not without crushing us to death."

    "Well, I don't think we've got any other options right about now," Cyborg replies gloomily, "other than going for a swim."

    I stand up, brushing the snow off my shoulders. "I can freeze the river over?" It comes out more of a question than a statement. Raven nods at me and I add, "Grab on to something."

    I wait a few seconds before finally dropping the layer of snow. With laser focus, I hold my hands out and blue energy hits the river, instantly creating a thick layer of ice. I land on my feet this time, the energy from the soles of my shoes slowing me slightly before I land, but the others aren't so lucky.

    "Where are we?" Starfire questions, pinning a strand of hair behind her ear.

    I'm in awe at the sheer beauty of our natural surroundings—it's not quite enough to take away my confusion at how it's possible, though. My jaw drops to my feet when none other than dinosaurs storm onto the scene, and Beast Boy taps Cyborg on the head from his shoulders.

    "When are we?"

    Cyborg looks down at his forearm panel and frowns. "We're not in the Stone Age. It's still present day."