Chapter 7

Percy woke up on Christmas morning to Rigel and Draco dumping a bucket of cold water on his head. He sat up straight in his bed and looked cautiously. Rigel was laughing uproariously.

'What was that for?' Percy demanded.

'It's christmas,' Draco replied eagerly, all but jumping up and down in place. 'The presents are downstairs, and Granddaddy says we can't start opening them until you come down.'

Percy blinked. 'Everyone else is up?' He looked at the clock over his mantel. 'It's five in the morning.'

Rigel smirked. 'I have my ways.'

'I hope you didn't go pouring water on your grandfather's head.' Percy muttered, crawling out of bed.

'Don't be stupid,' Rigel retorted. 'I just ordered the house-elf to make loud noises outside all their bedrooms.'

Percy frowned at his cousin. 'That's not very fair. You'll only get the elf in trouble.'

Draco shrugged. 'It's just an elf. Anyway, grandaddy won't get anyone in trouble on Christmas Day. daddy says he's incidental.' 

Percy chuckled. 'I think you mean sentimental.'

'That's what I said,' Draco said, and tugged Percy's arm impatiently. 'Come on!'

Percy yanked his arm back. 'Not until I dry my face. I'm not going downstairs dripping like a wet dog.'

'But you're dry.' Rigel frowned 'Touch your face.'

'Huh,' Percy said then touched his face. Rigel was right, it was oddly dry. This wasn't the first time though. 'Probably magic.'

'Probably.' Draco shrugged. 'Come on!'

Now that Percy was dry, he had no more reason to hold Draco back, and he allowed his cousin to lead him by the arm through the winding corridors of the massive old house. Percy couldn't help but be amused at Draco's excitement. Christmas was fun and all, but he had never got much, just a few broken toys and ripped clothes. He anticipated getting better presents this year, of course, but didn't quite see the point of dragging everyone out of bed before the sun was up. He anticipated getting better presents this year, of course, but didn't quite see the point of dragging everyone out of bed before the sun was up.

All the presents were very expensive, and there were loads of them. Arcturus and Melania had given Percy an antique wizarding chess set – '(It belonged to my grandfather, Phineas Nigellus Black,' Arcturus said) Druella gave him a set of new dress robes. Pollux and Irma had given him Curses and Counter-Curses by Professor Vindictus Viridian(Bewitch your friends and befuddle your enemies with the latest revenge: Hair loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying, and much, much more) Cassiopeia gave Percy a book about magical creatures. Uncle Ted and Aunt Dromeda gave Percy a pirate ship model that moved on its own and emitted small cannons which were actually mini dung bombs. Lucius, Narcissa, Rigel, and Draco gave Percy a hamper of sweets of every sort imaginable. The presents brought tears to Percy's eyes. He stood up and went to each relative, thanking them profusely for their gifts. Pollux ruffled his hair affectionately. Arcturus patted his shoulder. Irma and Melania each gave him a kiss. Even Cassiopeia gave him a stiff hug

It was only when he stopped in front of Cygnus that Percy realized he had not received a gift from his grandfather. He didn't miss a beat.

'Thank you, sir, for inviting me to spend Christmas in your house,' he said sincerely.

Cygnus roared with laughter. 'You're welcome, my boy, but I haven't given you and Rigel my presents yet.'

When Rigel heard that, he jumped up and stood next to Percy. Cygnus raised his wand and Summoned two long boxes, which flew through the open doors of the parlor into the boys' hands. Percy and Rigel ripped the paper off the boxes eagerly and gasped in unison.