I was a nervous wreck when I made my debut. Thought I had nothing to worry about. I was the season's Incomparable. By the end of the season I was married to Oliver, the love of my life. We had a son, Ezra, by the end of our first year of marriage. And two years ago the love of my life died from consumption.

The Featherington girls are first. "Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Philipa Featherington, Miss Penelope Featherington all presented by their mother, the Right Honorable Lady Featherington."

Prudence, Philipa, and Penelope all try to get through the small door at the same time. After they force their way through Lady Featherington follows after them. They walk down the hall stopping in front of Her Majesty the Queen. Lady Featherington hits Penelope as she looks at the ceiling instead of Her Majesty. They all courtesy with each of them varying in posture which is not very good.

Her Majesty does not bother to stand. Instead she gestures with her hand for the Featheringtons to move along. It is only the queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths.

Then with a great thud Prudence falls on her face. After picking Prudence up off the floor the debuts continue.

"Miss Daphne Bridgerton, presented by her mother, the Right Honorable, the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton."

I watch as Daphne confidently walks down the aisle towards Her Majesty. She curtsies and Her Majesty stands up once more. She places her hand under Daphne's chin and lifts it up to meet her gaze.

"Flawless, my dear."

This morning copies of Lady Whistledown's Society Papers were left on the steps. It is gossip, but a good read nonetheless. Lady Whistledown has gone a step farther than any scandal sheet ever has, she lists subjects by name, in full. She wrote all about Mary Edgecombe who last season had three offers after one day, once from an earl. She accepted and is now the Countess of Fulton but lives a rather unhappy life living in a cottage hundreds of miles away from her husband.

Lady Whistledown seems fond of Daphne. She named Daphne as the season's Incomparable. She called her a "diamond of the first water." The Featheringtons were not so lucky. It talked in length about Prudence fainting in front of Her Majesty.

I sit in Daphne's room with her and my sisters as they ready for the day.

"You absolutely sparkled, Sister," Hyacinth tells Daphne.

"Come, now. I merely simpered and minced in a pretty dress like everyone else," Daphne insists.

"Not exactly like everyone else," Francesca says.

"So humble, Daphne," I tease.

"Oh, I shall need to go and visit with Penelope," Eloise says. "Her presentation was anything but. What was it the queen called you again?"

"Flawless... or some such thing," Daphne says with a smile. "Trust I was astonished Her Majesty offered me, out of 200 young ladies present, a most gracious remark."

"Yes, it was quite a distinction. And now 200 young ladies have a common adversary," Eloise tells her. "I wish you luck, Sister."

"Eloise!" Francesca scolds.

"What? It is true," Eloise insists.

"My success on the marriage market influences all of your prospects like Betty's has," Daphne insists. "We will all need to find love one day. Indeed, a love as pure as what Mama and Papa once shared, if we are so fortunate. I merely hope I am able

to continue such a grand tradition."

Mama bursts through the door, "Your dresses have arrived."

We rush to the other room to see the dresses. Mama holds up the one meant for Daphne.

"This one is quite ravishing," Daphne says.

"Mary Edgecombe wore a similar shade last season," Mama tells her.

"And secured three offers the very next day, one from an earl," Daphne reminds her.

"Mary Edgecombe, now the Countess of Fulton, apparently spent the last year living in a cottage hundreds of miles away from her earl. She is miserable. It says it all here," Eloise insists.

"Do not tell me that is yet another scandal sheet. Eloise..." Mama starts.

"No, no, this one is different," Eloise insists. "This one lists subjects by name, in full."

"Let me see!" Hyacinth insists.

"Wait. Wait!" Francesca grabs the scandal sheet from Eloise. "'Lady Whistledown.'"

"'Lady Whistledown'?" Daphne asks.

"The author," Eloise tells her.

"Do we know a Lady Whistledown?" I ask.

"Surely Lady Whistledown cannot be her true name," Francesca reasons.

"What does it say, dearest?" Mama asks.

"She loathes the fact that we've been named alphabetically, oldest to youngest," Daphne reads.

"Your father and I found it orderly," Mama explains.

"Lady Whistledown finds 'banality.'" Daphne points out.

"The papers were distributed across town today without charge," I explain.

"Without charge? What kind of author..." Mama trails off.

Both Daphne and Mama gasp then laugh.

"Well, at least she has one thing right. She has named Daphne as the season's Incomparable. She calls you a 'diamond of the first water.' Well, how lovely!" Mama says.