50. Cruel Interruptions

Beginne am Anfang

"Maybe if you did, it would help take the edge off of your instincts," Sienna pointed out.

"It would only strengthen certain instincts," Celeste scoffed. "I don't think that would help."

Estelle pursed her lips, thinking. "You're both right. It would take the edge off of things for a little while, but then the...frenzy...would set in and Mikael's instincts, at least, would be even stronger than they are now."

Sienna grimaced. "You definitely don't want to be dealing with the frenzy right now."

"No, I don't." She turned as someone knocked on the doorframe. Nyx hovered in the hallway. He smiled. "Is it time?" Estelle asked. Nyx gave her a nod.

Celeste and Sienna rose and followed her out the door. Seren was waiting at the base of the stairs. "Don't let her out of your sight, Nyx," she said. "Don't let her try to fly either. And don't take too long. You still need to take things easy, Estelle."

"Don't worry, Mom," Estelle sighed, even as she took Nyx's arm to appease her. The four of them left the house quickly.

"We'll see you later," Celeste called. She and Sienna leaped into the air, spreading their feathered wings and soaring away.

When they passed the wards around the townhouse, Nyx winnowed. They arrived at the river estate shortly. Nyx's smile grew as they stepped inside. A vaguely familiar red headed female was waiting in the grand entrance.

Estelle released Nyx's arm as he held his hand out to Venelia. She took it, her own full lips stretching into a stunning smile. "Estelle! I've heard a lot about you." Her emerald eyes glistened excitedly. "Nyx has been really worried about you, and I shared his concerns. I'm glad you're well and that we're able to meet one another outside of awkward meetings between High Lords."

"It's nice to actually meet you too," Estelle giggled. "I doubt I've heard as much about you as you have of me. Nyx was determined to keep you a mystery."

Venelia's smile lessened. "With good cause. We didn't know who we could trust, and the less our friends knew, the better."

"I understand. Do you like the Night Court?"

Venelia brightened once again, nodding vigorously. "It's beautiful. I've never seen snow before. Nyx has shown me all of the winter constellations too."

"You've never been to the Winter Court?" Estelle raised an eyebrow.

Venelia shook her head. "My father never takes me anywhere. This is my first time outside of the Spring Court."

"Oh. Well, what are some things you like to do?" Estelle fell in step beside Nyx and his mate as they headed towards a sitting room.

◦═══✦═══◦

Mikael sat in a chair near a window, waiting impatiently for Estelle's return. Seren had told him that she'd gone with Nyx to meet Venelia. He forced himself to remain at the townhouse, not wanting to interfere with their visit. It was proving a difficult task.

He drummed his fingers against a table and Umbra wove in between them, stopping him. Mikael sighed, but didn't protest. He perked up as two figures appeared beyond the gates of the yard. Nyx walked Estelle up to the front doors before leaving.

Mikael heard the doors close and Estelle mounted the stairs. "You're back," she said, entering her bedroom. "Did you and Calden finish up your business?"

"We went to Rita's with Corbin and Lysander," he admitted.

"You drank without me?" Estelle gasped.