Part 3

The deaths stopped. The advisors and healers didn't know what to make of any of it, especially when Marya reported that she had taken care of the problem herself, just as she promised she would.

They cheered, in the end.

Marya Morevna, their fierce and loving tsaritsa, their warrior queen of legend, had saved them again.

Marya tried to forget about Koschei the Deathless, bound in her basement, but she haunted her dreams, just as she used to. Dreams filled with blood and lust and pain, Koschei laughing, knowing Marya would never be able to escape her.

Marya did not last long before she returned to the dungeons, sneaking like a thief in the night through her own palace, and into Koschei's bed.

She lashed Koschei bloody and Koschei savored all of it before her wounds healed over. She took her pleasure on Koschei, their legs splayed open and tangled as they ground their wetness together. She shuddered as she came, collapsing on Koschei's chest.

"I hate you," she panted.

"Your heart is vast and powerful, Marya Morevna. It can love and hate in the same beat." Koschei kissed her hair. "I should know."

Marya stood and loosened the bindings so Koschei could use her arms, and climbed back into the bed. She laid on her side and sobbed, and Koschei curled against her, holding her tight.

"I understand, you know," Koschei whispered in her ear after a while. "Creatures like us will always be pulled in opposite directions. You cannot fight your duty, just as I cannot fight my nature. I will try to escape, and I will succeed eventually."

"I know," Marya murmured back.

"I hate you for it, too." Koschei nipped at Marya's ear. "I will very much enjoy punishing you for this, Marya. You have no idea what exquisite torture I have planned for your body, how bruised and bloody and hurting I would leave you. Powerless and pleading for me..." Koschei shuddered and rubbed against Marya.

"You forget that you are the one at my mercy, Koschei... and since you cannot die, I can be very creative."

Marya rose and blew out the candle she had lit earlier, plunging the room into darkness until only Koschei's eyes shined back at her.

In that darkness, they did unspeakable things, known only to each other and the walls of that room as they swallowed the sound of their screams.

* * *

With the deaths stopped and the celebrations over, Marya Morevna's advisors descended upon her once more, reminding her of her duties and responsibilities to the crown. Sometimes she dreamed about spilling their blood on the throne room floor.

She was fantasizing about that when one of them interrupted her thoughts.

"Tsaritsa, there is an important guest you must meet. He comes from beyond our borders and is looking for news of his sisters who were married."

"Why would I know anything of his sisters? Does he think I'm a chattering, gossiping wife kept in the terem with nothing better to do?" Marya snapped impatiently, still gazing out the window.

Her advisor cleared his throat. "Tsaritsa."

She whirled at him, ready to strike him down with her sword, but her breath caught in her throat when she caught sight of the guest beside him.

"Tsaritsa, may I introduce Ivan Tsarevitch?"

Ivan, illuminated by the light behind him, bowed before Marya and she felt her stomach drop. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Marya Morevna. I am sorry to bother you." He raised his gaze to her from below his lashes, taking an appreciative glance at Marya's body.