forty six.

CHAPTER FORTY SIX
drunk encounter

Lucious

Thirsty had called Lucious to tell him about Hakeem's new Instagram live video. At first, Lucious wasn't sure what he was going to hear. He was certain Hakeem had said something dumb again, but he didn't. He called off the hit, and Lucious was proud of him.

All of Hakeem's fans agreed to leave Jamal alone, so Lucious guessed Jamal didn't need protection anymore. But if he still felt unsafe, then the bodyguards could stay for a little longer.

Lucious didn't know if Jamal had seen the video, so he was about to call him, but Cookie came home.

Cookie walked in and put her purse on the counter. "You're welcome, Lucious!"

"For what?"

"Hakeem ended the hit thanks to me."

That was news to him. "You persuaded him?"

"Forced him," Cookie corrected. "So you're welcome."

He was proud of her. "Thank you, Cookie. You did good."

"Yeah. But on another note, we need to talk."

"Not again."

"I'm serious. Our kids are beefing because we're beefing, Lucious," Cookie said.

He disagreed. "Jamal and Hakeem's beef has nothing to do with us. They have their own minds, and their own problems."

"Yes, but we're supposed to be leading by example. The example we're teaching them is that it's okay to hate your family. That's not good."

"What can we do about it, Cookie? You and I will never be on good terms again," he stated.

"Why can't we be?"

"You know what you said."

"And I apologize for that. I was angry."

"But you still meant it, so what's the point of  apologizing?"

Cookie sat down next to him. "Listen, do you make me angry to the point where I wish I never met you? Yeah. But I still love you, Lucious. I always have, and I always will."

That made him do a double take. What did she just say? No, they weren't about to do this right now. He stood up. "Alright, I think that wine is getting to you."

Cookie grabbed his arm. "I'm sober, Lucious. I'm finally being honest. I can't see myself with anyone else but your crazy ass, and I know you feel the same way."

"I don't know what makes you think that because that ain't true."

Cookie's facial expression shifted into sadness. "So you don't love me? The woman who you spent most of your life with?"

He spoke harshly now. "Do you want to know what I love, Cookie? I love my kids and Empire. Those are the only things I'mma be focused on for the rest of my life, which isn't that much longer."

"Is that why you're pushing me away? Because you're dying?"

Yeah, that was why. The truth was that he still had love for Cookie too. How could he not? She was everything he wanted in a woman, but he couldn't tell her that because he was dying in three years. It was pointless for them to rekindle their relationship.

He also wasn't telling her because he didn't want to let his guard down. He didn't want Cookie to hurt him again. Because she was crazy, so what if she ended up getting arrested? He couldn't deal with that heartbreak all over again.

So he lied to her face. "I have no love for you, Cookie. I'm sorry." Then he walked out and she called his name, but he didn't go back. It was best if he didn't.

For her sake.

Tory

It was night time, and Tory knew Jamal needed some alone time, but something was telling her to check on him. He hadn't been okay these past couple of days, and she was worried he might do something crazy. Heartbreak was no joke.

Tory was supposed to be Jamal's lover, but she wasn't checking on him as his girlfriend. She was checking on him as a friend because that was what he needed right now.

She arrived at his condo and his bodyguards were outside of his door. She knew Jamal was tired of that.

The bodyguards let her in, and she saw Jamal sitting on the couch with hella alcohol bottles surrounding him. Some open, some closed. "Jamal?"

Jamal slowly looked at her and slurred his words. "W-Wassup, Tory."

"Are you drunk?"

"Y-Yup."

"May I ask why?"

Jamal shrugged drunkenly. "My life is ruined, so why not? I lost Mateo. I lost my privacy. I lost it all."

Jamal started laughing hysterically and Tory was concerned. "What's funny?"

"The fact that my life turned upside down so suddenly is hilarious. I have the worst luck, I guess."

"Is this about Mateo?"

"It's about everything," Jamal said. "Everything was going so well after I performed for Ma, and Hakeem ruined all of that. Now I can't live my life because I have to lie to the public about who I really am. I also have no privacy whatsoever. The bodyguards follow me around 24/7. They're even standing outside of my door right now." Jamal said six words that frightened her. "I can't live like this, Tory."

"Stop talking like that because you're scaring me. And stop drinking!" She snatched the bottle out of his hand and exhaled. "Look, Hakeem called off the hit. You can get your privacy back now."

"Still can't get Mateo back. That's what I want more than anything." Then Jamal grabbed another bottle and held it out towards her. "You sure you don't wanna join me? I really don't want to get fucked up alone."

She frowned. "You don't need to get drunk out of your mind, Jamal."

"I know, but it helps." He took a swig and Tory just sighed. If Jamal wanted someone to drink with him, then fine. She could do that for him.

They drunk in silence. Jamal's sadness made her think about her shitty past, so she said, "You know, my life isn't amazing either."

Jamal snorted. "It's better than mine."

"I almost died, Jamal."

Jamal was serious now. "What? How?"

"I had a drug addiction and I overdosed, but I was saved. That made me realize I needed to stop doing the shit that I was doing. So I got sober."

"How long?"

"Two years now."

Jamal was glad. "Wow. That's amazing, Tory. I'm glad you're okay."

"Thank you. But I guess what I'm trying to say is, I know what it feels like to be helpless. I know what it feels like to have your family see you as a disappointment, but I want you to know that I'm here for you, Jamal. As a fake girlfriend and as a friend. You're not in this alone."

Jamal mustered a smile. "Yeah, I can see you're here for me and I appreciate that."

She smiled back and then Jamal drunk some more, so she drunk some more. They chatted for a while, cracking corny jokes to try to make themselves feel better. Then Jamal told her they should do something to get their minds off the sad shit, and she ended up in his bed...

They were in the darkness. Tory stared at the ceiling as Jamal laid next to her, not moving a muscle. They were both in so much shock.

She swallowed hard. "Jamal?"

"Yeah..."

"What the hell did we just do?"

Jamal said the words out loud. "We just had sex."