Left Behind...

As my eyes opened, I realized we were moving. A quick glance around brought me back to reality. We were on a very small bus, working our way through the capitol city. Suddenly I felt something moving around on my lap.

The moment I saw the rat, I wanted to shove it off my knee. That was before I realized he was watching me with those beady eyes, looking very worried. He even had his tiny hands balled up, nervously.

I spoke to Sebastian like I would a person, and said, "Hey, there is no need to be so concerned, I think I just needed to gather some energy. I'm feeling fine now. Sorry to scare you." I gently patted him on the back.

He squeaked happily, and joined Cleo on her bench.

Rick chuckled, and watched the rat climb up Cleo's arm as he took a seat beside me. "You're still with us, I was worried. You passed out pretty much the moment we left Soria's compound. I thought you had died, and I would have to do this by myself." Rick mumbled.

Peacemaker butted in, saying, "Hey, I resent that! Still, he told us all about your tragic backstory. That is some tough shit, kid. Sorry I shot you earlier, I can see why you'd want to get to Colonel Flag. You didn't want to lose another friend."

Rick immediately knocked him over the head. Peacemaker looked around innocently, like he didn't know where he had gone wrong. He waved it off, and continued to polish his shiny helmet.

"Listen, you shouldn't have done all that. We all need to be top of our game out here. You know that it puts the team at risk when we can't carry our own weight. Even so, that was insane. I didn't realize you could resurrect that many people." He chuckled, leaning in, so no one else could hear our bizarre conversation.

I positioned myself so I was laying my head in his lap, and said, "You know that I couldn't have left them like that. If I can save someone, I will. Especially when it was my squad of morons that killed them. Besides, Sol will need all the fighters she can get to storm the capitol. I was doing her a favor."

Rick lowered his face mere inches from mine, and mumbled, "I had to carry you out, Rose, literally carrying your weight. Your pulse was so weak, the rat was the only one left who could hear it. You can't do that to me again."

I looked him over, seeing the tension in his body. He had no doubt been insufferable, like he was when he was afraid. I knew how much he cared by how big of a dick he could be. Tonight was no exception. He had literally just backhanded his squad member.

"I'm fine, Rick. I'm here now. And I'm with you, okay? Now, take the intensity down a notch, and let me in on the plan." I groaned, trying to sit up. Though, I'd have to admit, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I could only imagine that was how it felt after mixing every drug imaginable. I envied the dead.

Rick watched me closely, and said, "We are going to the bar that the scientist, Dr. Grieves, frequents. He's the man in charge at Jotunheim, and we're going to kidnap him. Once we've got him, he'll get us through the gate. Simple as that. But you are going to stay on the bus. You look like shit. You can keep Nanaue company."

I wanted to protest, but fighting would probably give me a migraine at this point. I just nodded, and leaned into him, to get a bit of rest, before he was out of my reach again. In response, he leaned down to kiss me gently on my head.

--------

As we parked down the road from the bar, I sat up and stretched with a groan. I slid down my bench, to rest my back on the window. Watching the others gear up, a ping of jealousy ran through my body. I wanted more than anything to go with them, but Rick was right, I would need the rest if we were going to take Jotunheim.

Rick stood immediately, and ordered the others to get ready. Supporting himself on the chair, he leaned over me, bringing himself down to my level. He watched me cautiously with those bright eyes. Suddenly he closed the space between us, planting a gentle kiss on my mouth.

In all of the years together, we'd never crossed this line. I'm sure I hadn't hidden my desires very well, but I couldn't bring myself to admit how much I really wanted this. At that moment, he'd chosen for us that we were done hiding. We were done fighting.

Just as quickly as he'd started, he pulled away, and stood tall. Still watching me, he muttered, "I'll be back soon, and we'll end this. Then we'll be free to go home."

"That is, if Waller decides to pardon her for going AWOL!" Peacemaker called, walking off the bus.

"If this mission doesn't kill him, I will." I said, checking that my sidearm was still loaded.

Rick shook his head, and said, "She knows that you're a soldier, and you would never abandon your mission. We were able to establish communication before entering the city, and she wasn't even upset that you came after me. She sent the others after you to help. I think if we live, you'll be in the clear."

"Waller doesn't give second chances, Rick, but I hope you're right." I grumbled, standing to make my way to the bench in front of Nanaue. I found him watching the people passing by the van like they were moving meals.

Before I could be seated, Rick spun me around, and said, "If you can't go home after all this, I'll stay with you. We can get Maggie, and we'll fight crime together. You know she's ex-Navy, right?"

"Yeah, I've seen her tattoos, all of them." I wiggled an eyebrow, eliciting a chuckle from him. I sighed heavily, meeting his eye with a small smile. "She would never do that. She still believes in our country wholeheartedly. If I become our country's enemy, she'd sooner kill me than kiss me... Just go, you don't know when Grieves will be coming in. We can talk more when this is all over, okay?"

I pushed Rick away, and he started off the bus without a second look my way. I watched him join the others. When he was out of sight, I finally dropped onto the bench and glanced at Nanaue.

"Are you friend?" He asked, watching me closely.

I nodded, and said, "I am your friend. I'm Colonel Rose Porter. Just call me Rose. Do you want to play cards?"

Nanaue smiled a terrifyingly toothy grin, and said, "I smart. Love play games."

I chuckled, and pulled a deck of cards from my pocket.