Meeting

Kaito had told Jii about his father's journal and Sharon Vineyard's association with his father. Both were alone that night, with Kaito drinking one of the non-alcoholic drinks Jii offered behind the counter. After Kaito told Jii everything, Jii sighed.

"I see," Jii finally said, "Toichi-sama, in the end..."

A silence ensued as Jii was lost in thought, probably about what his father did behind Jii's back all this time. Jii only learned about the syndicate as Toichi's murderers after the fact and didn't do anything about it until he chose to bring about the reappearance of Kaitou KID. But Jii never knew how Toichi got involved with them in the first place and assumed it had to do with KID's dangerous line of work. So it was something to take in for Jii and Kaito let him do so, understanding where he was coming from.

"But Kaito-botchama, what are you going to do about this?" Jii asked.

"Well, if it was Sharon Vineyard, I would just meet her and ask directly because she already knows about the syndicate and there's no point in hiding that. But since Sharon passed away and all that's left is her daughter, Chris..." Kaito said, letting that hang in the air.

If it was Sharon Vineyard, Toichi's trusted partner in crime back then, it would be easy for Kaito to just contact her for details about the syndicate that he would need to take them down since Sharon was in the same boat and had worked as hard to take them down despite failing in the end. He knew it won't be that easy and maybe Sharon would be a bit distrustful or dissuading him so her mentor's son doesn't go down a dangerous road but they would have some ground to step and cover up for a hopefully smooth transaction at the end of it.

However, all that's left now was Chris Vineyard, a daughter who didn't get along with her mother and probably knew nothing about the syndicate in the first place. Kaito, who had so far worked by himself with only Jii as his assistant because he was the one who revealed everything to Kaito in the first place, couldn't involve Chris with his problems like that if she knew nothing. After all, even Hakuba and Akako who knew about his identity knew nothing of his motivations.

Why would he even spill something like that to Chris despite her mother being a student of his father was otherwise a complete stranger when he wouldn't do it for his best friend Aoko? With that in mind, all Kaito could do was...

"My best bet would be Sharon Vineyard's possessions. She might have kept a record of what she did just like Oyaji. Or there is some evidence of the syndicate that she has which I could use..." Kaito said although the latter part was definitely a long shot, "But at the same time, I don't want to involve Chris with this if she knows nothing."

"I understand what you mean, Botchama," Jii said, "But if that's the case, how are you going to get ahold of Sharon-san's possessions if you don't go through Chris-san first?"

"... I will have to meet up with her first. As an actress, she really keeps her public life down low. I can't access Sharon-san's possessions if I don't find where Chris-san lives first," Kaito eventually said.

"Kaito-botchama, don't tell me you plan on-" Jii started saying but Kaito cut in smoothly afterwards.

"I don't think it's what you think, Jii-chan. But we will have to see right after I meet up with Chris-san, right? After all, this might be one of the biggest leads I have of the syndicate that murdered Oyaji. If it could help me in anyway..." Kaito murmured.

"Kaito-botchama," Jii said softly but then sighed, "I understand, but please don't do anything reckless. I don't want you getting into any trouble if you could help it."

"Who are you talking to, Jii-chan?" Kaito asked, in offense despite the sound advice, "I will be fine, just like all the times before."

Jii sighed again but did not say anymore before both of them had discussed what to do and how to approach Chris Vineyard.