Chapter 3

The next morning, Olivia was sitting on a barrel to the side, examining the crew for any injuries since they were constantly involved in all sorts of adventures. She found that some of them had rather deep wounds in their stomachs and treated them accordingly.

Elizabeth was leaning on the railing, across from Olivia, reading the letters of Marque, when a familiar looking hand snatched it from her grip, "How dare you?"

She turned around and saw Jack walking away with them.

She strode over to him, making him stop and ask her pointedly, "These are meant for me, are they not?"

She stuttered, "W – well..."

Noticing the signature at the bottom, Jack's eyes widened, "Beckett?"

Just then Mr. Gibbs walked up to them and asked in disbelief, "Beckett?"

Elizabeth smugly replied, "Yes, they're signed 'Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company'."

Jack made a face of disgust as Mr. Gibbs angrily whispered, "Will was working for Beckett and never said a word."

Olivia watched them as Elizabeth stammered, "N – not really."

Jack gripped his right wrist and groaned, as if relieving a painful memory, causing Elizabeth to look at him in concern.

Realization dawning on him, Mr. Gibbs gasped in horror as his eyes were filled with fear, "Beckett wants the compass. Only one reason for that."

Jack's eyes were unreadable as he looked at them and darkly said, "Of course, he wants the chest."

Elizabeth frowned, "Yes, he did mention something about a chest."

Mr. Gibbs warned, "If the company controls the chest, they controls the sea."

Jack added, his eyes growing dark, sending a shiver down Elizabeth's spine, "A truly discomforting notion, love."

Mr. Gibbs growled, "And bad! Bad for every mother's son what calls himself pirate."

He looked up at the sails and muttered, "I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails."

He strode away to check them, ordering the crew, "Brace the foreyard!"

Elizabeth turned to see those beautiful dark eyes gazing intensely at her, causing her cheeks to flood with a blush.

Holding up the letters of Marque and not taking his eyes off her, he curiously asked, "Might I enquire as to how you came by these?"

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Persuasion."

He stepped towards her, making her step back, aware of Olivia watching them, "Friendly?"

She smirked, "Decidedly not."

Jack grinned, "Will strikes a deal for these and upholds it with honor, yet you are the one standing here with the prize."

As she opened her mouth to protest, he read from the letters, ""Full pardon, commissioned as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company."

He tucked the letters into his coat and, walking away, snorted, "As if I could be bought for such a low price."

Desperate to save Will, she went after him and pleaded, "Jack, the letters, give them back."

Jack smirked and turned his head partially, "No. Persuade me."

Seeing where this was going, she internally grinned and, walking right up to him, leaned forward, her chin grazing his shoulder, sending tingles down his spine.