The Path

.:. Okay guys, I have a serious mental problem.  I keep on posting new stories yet not posting anything more than the 2nd chapter!!!  I think I need an intervention... like maybe have my laptop taken away or something!!!  Okay, so this is a new story, and I have no clue how I thought of it!!!  But, I promise you it won't be your normal story tell me what you think! .:.

The Path

Chapter 1

            I walk around the perimeter of our small village letting my hands touch the cool metal quickly heating in the spring's sun.  I step back and away from the gate as I see one of the flesh eaters coming up to it, dragging its foot behind itself.  Its mouth gaped open letting out an inhuman groan as it starts to bang its broken hands against the solid fence making it quiver slightly.  I take another involuntary step back as I watch the rabid creature try to bite away at the intricate knots of the fence.

            I can tell that it used to be a female by the way it's long, curly hair flows down over a rotting and torn dress.  She might have been my grandmother's best friend, you never know in this world.  Her oil matted black hair sticks to her head in lumps as her unfocused baby blue eyes search but find nothing.  Her nose has a bone protruding from it as her almost toothless mouth tries to bite the fence away to get to my flesh.  Her blood caked fingers scrape uselessly against the air.

            "Cassandra, stay away from the fence!" I hear my older brother call out to me.  I look over my shoulder to see John walk down the hill to me looking concerned.  I sigh and skip over to his side linking my arm through his.  The flesh eater moans deepen as I turn my back to it and to my older brother.  I smile up at him as I flick his blond hair out of his blue eyes. 

            "Let's go back," I say rushing him up the hill and away from the flesh eaters, but in this world, you can't go far enough to not hear their incisive moans as they cry out to the one thing they need, they crave.  I look back to see another, a boy, has joined her and I swallow my bile at the sight of the young boy, no older than my ten years.

            "Cassy," John says in a hush tone and I turn around and smile at him. 

            "Let's just get away from the fence, it's not safe," I mumble grabbing his hand and pulling him into the village and away from the chain link fence; the only thing that's keeping us from the insanity that is the infection.  The same infection that many have succumbed to.

            I've always wondered what it's like to be one them; one of the flesh eaters.  Do they worry about anything other than the bloodlust?  Do they feel love towards another, possibly the one they loved when they still breathed and their hearts still pump strong?  I wonder if it's just all psychological, that maybe if we believe hard enough, we won't succumb to the infection, but have our bodies fight if off instead.  "Come, we need to do our chores before nightfall," John says ushering me onto the dirt path leading to the river.  I glance around at the Protectors walking through the village with sharpened spears and bows.  I sigh as I let John lead me to the well.

            This is just the average life in our small village; the average life in the world of flesh eaters.