Part 6

Tonight. 

Tonight was the breakout, Léo had been right. The two men from yesterday were part of the rebellion, and they had let Léo in on their plans. Most of the people who would be on guard duty tonight were in on the plan and would help free all the women. Léo could hardly wait, it had taken too long for others to see how wrong the parades had been and to finally act on it. He couldn't wait to get out of Ajoux.

Léo heard a low whistle from inside the jail; it was time. The breakout had started, and all guards who hadn't been part of the plan were knocked out and tied up. The women had all been unchained and the sick, including Roselyn, were being put in carts. They only had 10 minutes until the next guard change, and there were still quite a few women unable to load themselves onto the carts. Léo decided to take all the able-bodied women to his shop to collect supplies.

When they arrived at the boulangerie, Léo and the women found the door open and candles lit. After telling the girls to wait, Léo snuck inside to see who was there. Much to his surprise, Léo found Marguerite sitting by the fireplace. Lost for words and afraid the plan would now fail, Léo just gawked until he was noticed. Marguerite explained that she knew about the plan and wanted to help, hoping this could earn her a little forgiveness and lessen her guilt. She said she had a nephew who had an inn in Eguisheim. She handed Léo a letter and told him to give it to her nephew to explain everything and said he could give all the women and Léo a room until things calmed down or they found a new safe home. Not having anything else to say, Marguerite left.

When meeting up with the other men and the injured women Léo explained the situation and told them they should head to Eguisheim. The other men agreed and they set out. A mile from town on one the many hills in France, Léo glanced back at the small village he used to call home. He remembered all the pain that he and so many others went through in those streets. With one final look, Léo longingly said goodbye to all his memories of Ajoux and walked toward his new life and fresh start in Eguisheim.