"That's enough, Vlad! Fix the flower crown, and Laurence don't you dare make a snide comment, I will not hesitate to punt you," Indigo scolded, her arms on her hips as she temporarily stopped. Louise, although amused a second ago, now felt a slight annoyance.

    "Indigo. Pick up my brush from the forest floor before I punt you," She glared, not liking how her property was treated. It was the only brush she had ever received from her dad, and she would be damned if something were to happen to it. Her older sister sheepishly picked it up and gingerly cleaned it before continuing with her previous task of taming her hair into something more neat. She avoided the intact braids and took out the ones that were falling apart and then handed Louise her brush back.

    It wasn't long after that for the siblings to make their way into their village of Lummon, one of the few lumberjack villages in their kingdom. Like always, Indigo avoided the stares of the elderly, as she was a known suspect for theft in the village. They followed the crowd to the center of the village, noticing the hastily decorated platform for the event. One would think they would just decorate it permanently for this event, seeing how it's been happening consistently for the past seven years, an unheard thing in times during peace. Indigo ushered her family into a lovely shady spot near a building, having scouted it out the previous day for the perfect viewing.

    She was tense, nervous for her brothers. She didn't want them to join the army if they were chosen, and she didn't like to be far from them. If they were chosen they would go out of the village and she'll probably never see them again!

    Okay, so maybe not never, but it would be awhile.

    It wasn't long before the entire village was in the square, kids excitedly watching, parents with apprehensive or pride, and the elderly with somber, serious expressions. When the dark-skinned man who had been quietly standing on the platform saw this, he stepped up and smiled.

    "Welcome to the annual choosing," he greeted, his brown gaze warm. Indigo glanced at his body, appreciative of the thickness of his muscles before intently focusing on the happenings around her. "Let's begin, shall we?"

    He revealed an aerolith, a magical stone that reads a person's magical ability to pinpoint what their main specialized power is. They are valuable and quite rare, and usually found deep in caves where magic power is potent. He looked behind him to the other guy standing there holding an official parchment of the boys' names in the village. Indigo clenched her fists, nerves raking through her body as she waited for her brothers to go to the stage. Her family were in similar situations.

One by one each boy was called up to the fountain where the stone aerolith was situated. When Laurence's name was called he proudly walked up there, a smirk on his features as he placed his hand on the stone. Now, when someone places their hand on the stone it will either glow a blue to signify a water mage, white to signify air mage, green to signify earth mage or a combination of red and gold for fire mage. If all colors appear it signifies a dragon rider, which is extremely rare. Each year only three dragon riders are chosen, though many don't quite know why.

It's standard to learn either from family, or from the local school if one village has one, of the perks of being a mage or dragon rider. It was part of the basic education one can receive or learn, if one is taught by either the school or family, of course. These perks include being able to control his chosen element, and sometimes a secondary element. Those types of mages are rare, and are usually old, due to the fact it takes years of studying. They also have an estimated lifespan of a hundred and ten years. Dragon riders can live for as long as their dragon lives, as they are the dragon's destined companion. They don't get to really access magic, but they do have advanced strength, agility, durability, and senses. Riders can also communicate with their dragon telepathy.