Chapter 14 - Madison

Start from the beginning

But it does nothing to hide me from one last thought, you that he was the One. Guess you were wrong.

                                                                                                * * *

"Good morning sweet cakes!" I hear Vanessa's chirpy voice bright and early.

I groan, listening to her walk across the room. She opens the curtains wide, letting all the sun in. "Isn't it such a beautiful day!"

I groan again, throwing the covers over my head.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep. All I know is it hasn't been long enough.

"What time is it?" I ask, my voice muffled by the pillow.

"Seven-thirty!"

What? I've only slept three hours?! I pull the comforter tighter to me, settling back to get more sleep. Vanessa is crazy if she thinks—

All of a sudden, the covers are yanked off me.

"Hey!" I squeal.

"Come on sweet cheeks!" She slaps my ass. "Get up, we're going out to breakfast."

"I don't want to," I whine, hugging a pillow. Sleep, I need more sleep.

"Madison Rosales. You are lucky you don't have a middle name so I can scold you with!" I glance up and see V holding back a grin. My gaze runs over her. She's already dressed?! Jeez.

I close my eyes again, too tired for her hyper-activeness.

"Madi!" She yells and I cover my ear to keep from going dead first thing in the morning.

"Stop, V. I can hear you. No need to yell."

"The guys will be here in thirty minutes, Mad! And you've not showered or dressed!"

I narrow my eyes at her, brushing off those other words, "Are you saying I smell?"

"It's my job." She shrugs. "You reek from alcohol still. At least I'm being a good friend."

My face smooths out and I turn onto my back. "V, I don't want to go. Please, go without me. I'm tired, experiencing period cramps, and apparently, I reek." I also don't want to see Maxon, I almost add.

She pouts, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"I don't want to be stuck with those two boneheads by myself. I want my best friend with me." She reaches out to grab my hand and gently squeezes. "I want you to come explore New York with me. That's another reason I brought you, you know. To explore. Get to know places."

I remove my hand from under hers and sigh. "Just for today, V. We can explore the city every day for the rest of the week. I promise. Okay?"

She bites her lip, "This isn't because of what I said yesterday right? About Maxon?"

I give her a small smile. "It's not. I'm genuinely tired. It took my body a while to get accustomed to the new bed."

She grins. "I do miss the beds. Alright, I'll hold you to your promise." V jumps up, thankfully not pushing anymore because the girl can get pushy when she wants to. I mean, look at where it's landed me. Literally. "I'm going to go do my hair real quick." She says and I can only nod, my eyes already closing. I must've fallen asleep because I woke up to a knock on the door.

"Ness! Mad!" I hear from the other side.

Vanessa quietly rushes over. "Shut up!" She whisper-yells. "Madison's sleeping."