Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

Emilio and Eve followed Robert and Cora inside Downton, the others following behind them.

As they sat in the drawing room, Eve told her family about everything that she had been doing while in Spain. Eve told her family about the tour she and Emilio had, along with the balls, charities, foreign dignitaries, and dinners, to name a few.

"I've quite enjoyed working with the charities in Spain, and some have been formed by the church, and I love being able to help others," Eve informed her Aunt Cora.

"That's wonderful, dear," She commented, "We'll be having a guest tonight. Archbishop Lang will be dining with us."

"You don't think there will be a conflict with two Catholics having dinner with a Prince of the church of England?" Emilio inquired.

"Because we know how Uncle Robert can be when a church worker is at dinner," Eve added, "Uncle Robert will no doubt bring up his feelings of catholicism."

"Don't worry, dear. I'll try to speak with your uncle about remaining civil," Cora told her niece.

"Have you heard anything from Sybil lately?" She asked her aunt.

"I have. She said that things are going well and that the baby is fine as far as she can tell," Cora answered.

"Perhaps after our visit here, we can go to Ireland and visit Sybil and Tom?" Eve suggested to her husband, "Just for a few days."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea, mi Amor," Emilio smiled, "I have been wanting to see the Emerald Isle."

In the afternoon, Eve was at the Crawley house with Mrs. Hughes, Isobel, and Ethel. They were there to hear what Ethel wanted to tell them.

"It's very hard to begin," Ethel told them.

"Well, find a way, Ethel," Eve consoled her.

"We all have lives to lead," Mrs. Hughes said.

Ethel takes a breath and asks, "Could you write to the Bryants? To say I want them to have Charlie?"

"We've already been down this path...to no avail," Mrs. Hughes reminded her.

"I know. And I know I said a mother's love was worth more than all they had to give, but I said it for me. Not for him," She said.

"My dear, you mustn't do anything until you're absolutely sure," Isobel advised her.

"Mrs. Hughes said we all have lives to lead, but that isn't true. I've got no life. I exist, but barely."

"Ethel, we all know the route you've taken."

"It's good of you to have me here," Ethel thanked Isobel.

"All I mean is that I work with others like you to rebuild their lives," Isobel told her, " Can't we work together to find a way for you to keep your son?"

"With his grandparents, Charlie can build a life that is whatever he wishes it to be," Ethel told them, "With all respect, ma'am, you and I working together could never offer him that."

"You want me to write to them again," Mrs. Hughes said.

"But leave it vague. Say that Ethel would like them to keep in contact with their grandson," Isobel instructed, and Mrs. Hughes nodded.

"And be sure to add that I will be in attendance, Mrs. Hughes. In case, Mr. Bryant decides to become holier than thou," Eve added.

"I won't change my mind," Ethel said with determination.

"Nevertheless, that's what I'll do. Then there'll be no disappointment whatever comes. Now if you'll forgive me, we've got a big dinner tonight. Good day, ma'am. Ethel," Mrs. Hughes said.