Chapter Three

I go into the house welcomed by the magical smell of Mom's cooking. I go to the kitchen to greet her then run to my room to shower. I take a long much needed shower and head back into my room to find something comfortable to wear. I search through my closet finally putting on sweatpants and a plain t-shirt. As I'm tying my locks into a neat bun, I look across the street through my window into Jungkook's room. Everything seems normal till I notice movement and shadows behind the blinds. I walk slowly towards my window placing my head against it, at a closer distance, I can make out what can only be desperate cries. The larger shadow pounces on the smaller one, the air filling up with a distant cry.  My hand lands on my chest, my heart beating furiously against the t-shirt. My eyes started to water without my consent whatsoever. What if Jungkook was in some kind of trouble?

That thought alone is enough to get me bolting out of my room and literally flying down the stairs before pulling the front door open. I hear my Mom call me but I just keep running, crossing the dark street over to the other side of the road. Normally, the dark creeps me out but right now, I do not care. I bang my fists against the door. I continue banging the door, if it broke, I did not care either. By now, tears are falling down my face in two thin rivers. The cold air biting my exposed skin. The door flies open revealing the same man from earlier today. His hair is messed up, beads of sweat lace his pale white skin. Drops of blood on his blue t-shirt, that only makes me cry harder. What has he done?
"What have you done?" I ask hitting his chest.
"What are you doing here?" He asks clearly irritated.
"Where is Jungkook? You hurt him, didn't you?!"
"He's asleep,"
"Fucking liar!" I seethe pushing him. He grips my hands pulling me close. I can't breathe. I'm scared. He is giving off cold energy. He's colder than the night with his dark eyes boring into mine. And he's the man I just yelled at and pushed, now I'm extremely scared. 
"Listen here, go home! Jungkook is fine," he says darkly shaking me right to the core.
"I'm c-calling t-the p-police," I stutter and he tightens his grip on my hands.
"If you care about Jungkook. You wouldn't do that," he says coldly and goosebumps immediately appear on my skin. I'm crying harder, hes scaring me.
"Do you understand?!" He glares at me, my small frame shaking under him.
"Y-y-yes. Please d-don't h-hurt h-h-im," I say. A door is closed from across the street and he lets me go. I turn and run back to my house where my parents are standing at the door. I wipe my tears off my face and look down so they wont see me cry.
"Everything okay baby?" My Dad asks as I walk towards them.
"Yes. I wanted some book from Jungkook. He's asleep, I'll just get it in the morning," I lie and squeeze past them.

We are currently sitting at our dinner table. My plate is suffocating. Mashed potatoes, peas, fried chicken, coleslaw salad, sounds tasty. Only I do not have any appetite anymore. Has Jungkook eaten? Is he okay? What if he's in pain as I'm sitting here? Should I call the police? If I do, what he kills him? I don't know what to do...
"Kelly, you haven't touched your food. Is everything okay?" Mom asks placing her hand on mine. I come back to planet earth and my eyes have that stinging feel like I'm gonna cry all over again. Why does caring for someone hurt so much? Maybe because I've never cared for anyone who was in any kind of danger or pain. My heart felt heavy. A lump travelled from the pit of my stomach settling in my throat going nowhere further. And it hurt. So bad. I hate feeling this useless.
"I'm just gonna sleep now. I'm not hungry. Please excuse me," I say politely before standing and heading to my room. Soon as I close the door behind me, I throw myself on my bed and cry my eyes out. I don't know why I'm in pain. I just met the guy. He shouldn't mean so much to me. But he does and it's killing me.

I finally pull myself together, sit on my study desk, take out my advanced calculus homework and start working on it. Even with all that my mind is going through, I manage to pay full attention. It's like getting my mind off the current stress, so I keep on working. I print it out and start working on an identical paper. Just in case...
After my homework, I fall asleep after a short prayer, asking God to protect the boy next door.

The alarm wakes me up from my slumber. I roll over and switch it off. I do my morning routine, change into black jeans and a blue hoodie. I walk lazily down the stairs, mom and dad are already having breakfast over a light conversation. I sit down taking my plate and start forcing down the bacon and eggs. I can't starve if I'm gonna have to be strong for the boy next door. The food is tasteless against my dry tongue but I keep eating anyways.
"Baby, what's going on?" My daddy asks, concern painted all over his face. I swallow hard before looking at him.
"I'm worried about someone, he is having problems with his father. Nothing major," I say.
"Is it that Jungkook kid?" He asks and I nod my head.
"Don't worry baby, I'm sure he's fine. You could talk to him and figure things out," he urges.
"Thank you daddy,"
"If you ever feel this bad don't hesitate to talk to us," mom says.
"Thank you mommy. I should get going now," I say making my way to the fridge and grabbing two sprites. I take a lunchbox and pack last night's supper that mom kept for me in the microwave. I take a smaller lunchbox and place three slices of French toasted bread. My parents are looking at me with sad smiles on their faces, they know the food is not for me.
"Take care baby," daddy says as I make my way out of the house. I walk slowly across the street and knock on the door. After last night, I'm shaking standing here, but some things just have to be done.

The door is opened revealing a pale faced Kookie. He has a fresh bruise on his forehead, a purple eye and a dry busted lip. He looks dehydrated. I want to hug him right now but I can't, I'm afraid of invading personal space. I smile at him faintly, tears blurring my vision.
"You ready?" I ask. He just nods going back inside and coming back seconds later with a back pack hung on his shoulder. As we walk out of his driveway, I notice he is limping. He is breathing a little too high probably cause of the pain that that simple act of walking is causing him. Who hits his own son and probably break their ankle and still be fine with it?

We walk in silence and when we are well away from both ear and eye shot, I linked my arm with his. I couldn't stand seeing him struggle with walking, I just needed to help him. He doesn't protest, just flinches making me realise there's more damage under the oversized hoodie. We get to school early and there's no one around yet. I lead him to our first class and sit him down. He let out a strained yelp when I sat him down. I sit next to him and take my bag from my shoulders. I take out the two lunchboxes and the sprites.
"I know you're hungry. Please take this," I plead. He shakes his head no.
"Please. Did you eat last night?" He shakes his head no again.
"Then please, eat something," my eyes are watering.
"Not hungry," he says in almost a whisper. I completely break down.
"Then why are you saying you're not hungry? Please eat. Please, okay, let's eat together," I plead almost choking on my silent sobs. I open the lunchboxes, place them the desk, open the sprite and hand him one. He takes it hesitantly.
We start eating in silence. I'm not even hungry but I am eating anyways, so that he can eat too. After eating all of the food, I take two painkillers from my pocket and hand them to him. He takes them and gulps them down with sprite.
"Feel any better?" I ask. He just nods and rests his head on his arms on top of the desk. I pack away the lunchboxes, and start getting my books in order. I look over to Kook and see that he's asleep, soft snores escaping his slightly parted lips. Taking the moment to take in his soft features, long black eyelashes, thin reddish lips, a pointed nose and sharp jawline. He's a sleeping beauty. He didn't sleep at all last night. How could he sleep with all the pain? Tears started welling up in my eyes again. I'm a teary mess. What are you doing to me Jeon Jungkook?

I smile sadly, I wish I could do more.