ix ━━ lay in your arms when the world is burning

Start from the beginning

Walker's expression twists and he spits, "I'm not like you!"

"No." Svet agrees, voice low and threatening, "You're nothing like him."

Bucky looks at his daughter, breath catching in his lungs.

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record." Sam levels with him, tries to make him see sense, "We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

Her senses are screaming at her. Blood keeps dripping from the shield, landing like small grenades on the concrete. She can feel the heat of it on her cheeks. She can taste the iron in the air. The bitter scent makes her stomach churn and she has to cover her nose.

"John..." Sam calls amidst the haze, "You gotta give me the shield, man."

Walker slowly lifts his head, scoffing out an embittered chuckle, "Oh, so that's what this is! You almost got me."

"You made a mistake."

Walker's nostrils flare, his eyes completely red now, chest still heaving.

It was always going to come to this, they all knew it would. The moment they chose a good soldier over a good man, there was only ever one way it would end. It would be like this — them against him.

"You don't wanna do this," he growls.

Bucky's eyes slowly roll up, "Yeah, we do."

Her father makes the first move. They all follow behind him. While Sam soars up overhead, Natasha snaps out her electric batons as Svet shoots her grappling line towards his arm, yanking it viciously to the side so Bucky can land a punch. They're a good team, the four of them together. They move around one another without having to tell the other what they're doing. Fighting with each other is easy. And while this fight should be easy, four on one, the difference remains: Walker is fighting to kill.

A hard fist crashes across Bucky's face and when Walker raises the shield, Sam backflips to kick it aside. Natasha fires a Widow's Bite at his neck that he barely blocks, but with a swing of his massive fist, Walker knocks her painfully off her feet. Svet races past her, kicking off the edge of a column to throw a punch that meets the smooth side of the shield. Through it all, the man holds onto the shield somehow, snapping it from hand to hand as he strikes out at whoever gets close.

Walker attacks them like in a frenzy. As Sam swoops from above and Bucky throws punches, Svet trips Walker with a baton of her own as Natasha launches herself at him. Her legs wrap around his neck and chest, twisting her upper body until she can knock him off balance. Desperate, unsure of how else to get free, Walker has no choice but to crash the both of them into a nearby lift so Natasha's head smacks against the metal. She drops to the ground with a groan.

Bucky leaps in, punching harder and harder until he's got Walker against a pillar, the shield trembling between them, each battling for control. Walker's growl turns to a scream as he twists it loose and ducks just in time for Bucky to punch through the metal beam over his head.

Svet runs forward and slams her knee into his center. She ducks beneath a wild swing of his fist and then punches him back just in time for Sam to dive in next, taking another kick across the face before Walker throws the shield back at Svet. Bucky quickly shoves Svet out of the way just in time for it to collide into his chest instead, smashing into a wall halfway across the warehouse.

Walker sprints and slams him up back against the wall again, crushing into him with the shield once more between them. Veins appear on Bucky's head as he bares his teeth and tries to push back, angry eyes boring into the other man's.