Episode 1.3: The Secrets That Bind Us

Start from the beginning

"What?" He catches my stare. "Are you being all sentimental and thinking 'no way, that's an indirect kiss!' Or do you want a bite?"

I wipe the drool at the corner of my mouth. "Neither. I—I'm fine."

My stomach drops a bomb—the loudest gurgle known to man.

Why thank you for backing me up there.

I swiftly cover it, ignoring my scorching cheeks. "S-sorry. I didn't eat breakfast."

"Any reason?"

Mutely, I trace the outline of the floorboards.

Michiru jostles my shoulders back and forth without hesitation or mercy. "If you were hungry, why'd you shake me off when I tried to feed you, then?"

"Because you implied it was poisonous."

He sighs, unhanding me.

"Learn to read between the lines. You seemed free, so I asked for company. And for the record, I hate wasting food. If I whip something up for you, it better be eaten. Got it?"

Rather than wait for a response, he frees me from his clutches. Then, he fastens the strings of his apron around his waist.

"Sit tight. I'll prepare a meal so tasty you won't think twice about turning down my cooking ever again."

My heart skips an unintentional beat. Michiru's broad back appears ever so dependable—some may argue to an uncharacteristic degree.

Why, though?

Why does he care so much?

Why is he going so far out of his way for me?

Clutching my blazer, I thin my lips.

Why?

"We'll miss class."

"You're a goody-two-shoes through and through. There's no harm in breaking the rules every now and again."

"That's something a delinquent would say."

"Good thing I'm an upstanding student, then." He lifts an eyelid. "Doesn't your neck hurt from looking down all the time?"

I bite the inside of my cheek. "No?"

A sigh spills out of him.

"Well, it bothers me."

He stabs his index finger right between my eyebrows—the spot I've furrowed unintentionally.

"I'm wiping that pathetic frown off your face. Until the day I do, I won't be satisfied."

"That's—"

"—impossible?" he finishes before I get the chance. "How many walls do you think I've bumped into since I joined this club? I'm a detective. Figuring out a solution to the impossible is what I do."

Ever since I've met these pretty boys, they've flung inconceivable notions at me left and right. They treat me with a kindness I've never experienced. Sometimes, I'll admit, it feels rather condescending. In fact, I'm starting to dislike how full of themselves they can be.

"What're you writing down now?" Michiru asks as I adeptly dodge and conceal my notebook from him. "It better not be anything weird."

"Just that I can't wait." I squeeze it shut, gripping it to my chest and curling my fingers over my sleeves to ensure they don't slip. In doing so, I tilt my head back. Fear doesn't bubble up. Neither do tears. I don't race for a surface to hide, either. It's the first, I think, that I've properly looked at him head-on. "For the food," I make sure to add.

Michiru rapidly blinks, as if he can't believe his eyes. I don't blame him for being shocked to discover I'm not a total scaredy-cat. Either way, because of the direct eye-contact, I'm left a puddle of nerves for a different reason.

"That so?" he finally says. For a brief moment, his attention flickers elsewhere. "I know I agreed not to pry into your past, Hisoki, but something's been bugging me since we met. You're hiding something from us, aren't you?"

☆。*。☆。
★。\|/。★

Episode 1.3: The Secrets That Bind Us

★。/|\。★
☆。*。☆。

"𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘢𝘭."

'𝘐 𝘵𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨.'

"𝘋𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺?"