1

[A/N: Hey guys, you may have notice this is way over due, after almost 4 years, i finally come back to this, may expect slow updates but will try my best to update more and probably be able to finish what I have started on 2017].

Chapter 1

Nick Reyes's POV

Serving the country is one of the traits I always have since I was a child. I didn't care which division I would end up in. This had helped me met the one person and her name is Nora Salter. She is indeed one of a kind, a tough cookie, a more likely very independent, won't let have any men talk her down that easily.

Both of us were signed to SCAR Team, which stands for Special Combat Air Recon, under Admiral Raines leadership, he had trained us, drilled a lot of lessons to our heads and for Salter? It was somehow easy for her, yet she could be rebellious sometimes, as I did an interview for her, ah the amount of editing I had to do.

Yet somehow I felt something whenever around her and I could confirm that I was indeed falling for her but how could we? Were we allowed to be in a relationship and I am pretty sure she was not interested in being one, let alone with me. I was not sure if I would be able to be worthy for her or is there anyone else better than me.

It was fleet week and I was hoping I would hang out with Slater today and enjoy some sightseeing and so on. Soon the event had slowly started to unfold, everyone gathered around watching, screaming, somehow made me feel a little homesick. Sure I was a bit workaholic but nothing wrong with wanting a little vacation. My thoughts were interrupted when Admiral Raines had called me into his office. I knocked on the door and soon walked in.

We both greeted as he had this look on his face, it was somehow concerning. "You need to see this". Rains sounded cold, it was indeed worrying enough but I complied and he had a video of a recent mission they had assigned and I watched. When the video ended, it had sparked something inside me and it was anger.

"They planted their flag on our rock, executed the 3 mend and shot down the pilot".

"Our team was sent to secure the classified weapons from a closed facility". I could already starting to lose my mind, losing 3 men and a pilot during this time and SDF was the cause? It was never anything good whenever SDF was around. Me and Admiral Raines go back and forth with arguments like it was debate but he was the Admiral and I was soon been warned to use some diplomacy in the room. I guess I had to keep my anger in check.

End Of POV

Raines then walked over by his desk to open the blinds and looked towards Geneva. They had few moments to cool off with the sight of the fleet passed by. Only Joint Strategic and Reyes himself knew what was going on from the incident. Nick didn't have any appropriate response or proper words to reply to the statement.

"This is a deliberate act of an aggression Admiral. We should be out there on patrol, not down here throwing confetti". This was not how the men who had died were celebrated.

"The rules of engagement prohibit definitive action under their circumstances", this was going to set Nick off anytime soon.

"So we stand by with our barrels in the sand and watch a fleet week parade".

"Lieutenant Reyes, make no mistakes. My instincts, which are aligned indelibly with your own, are that we need to engage". Soon the two went back and forth with more debate points.

"But Sir, by the time there is a war, it is too late. 'Hesitation is a hole in the head'. You drilled that into us relentlessly in-flight school. Work the problem, respond'. I apologize for my manners but this is what I feel about the situation as soon as that video ended, with our men and women die by their hands and we are not doing anything to avenge them.".

If he could se how admiral Raines who actually had a small smirk by his face, who was he to pick favorites but if he did, it was Nick Reyes and Nora who had been his favorite students to rely on. "You were always a fast learner, Lieutenatn. STRATCOM is well aware of our grievances. At this time, no use of force is being considered on the operational level. These are the laws of war, son".

Nick got up and then thanked his admiral for the briefing Raines gave him. Before he had moved, a petty officer had appeared on the monitor.

"Admiral Raines, E3N is in position on the roof".

"What is E3N?", besides EASports of course.

Raines mentioned Reyes to look for himself and possible would feel impressed about it. Soon Reyes was seen leaving the office and meets with Salter, made his heart skipped a beat once he saw her, almost grinned like an idiot but he kept his professionalism and composure.

"How Many?"

Nick sighed, "4. KIA". Slater sighed in disappointment by the news.

"Europa?", and Nick nodded.

Soon the two walked adown the hall on the way to an entrance, then Nick continued to summarize the briefing Admiral Raines had given him and he could see how frustrated she was as well.

"Captain Alder Know?" – Nora

"Negative. Today the Retribution isn't a warship. It's a parade fleet".

"Whole fleet here in Geneva? Doesn't seem right". Nick agreed but they do this every year, nothing new, he thinks. Soon he grabbed the door handle, "After you lieutenant". Nora smiled as she passed through, "Always a gentleman huh Slick? How come you don't have a lady?"

Nick could almost yelped by the question, hoping she would not notice the sudden upbringing, "I don't know, work got me but nothing wrong having someone, maybe I'm just waiting on that someone, I guess". Nora hummed, somehow not convinced by the answer, wanting to keep teasing the other man when they come across the Memorial Hall. The hall that is a long list of names of the men and women who had sacrificed in protecting Geneva for the last centuries until now, they were soon going to add more form the previous.

"Not a list you want to make".

"Peace to the fallen", took few minutes to pay their respects and then Reyes opened the door, finally revealing the event and Salter grabbed his hand, leading him outside. For all he could remember, Nora would never held someone's hand unless it was a formal handshake, this was a sudden.

"Welcome to Fleet week, come on Nick let's hustle". She gripped his hadn as the two then walked through the crowd.