𝖛𝖎𝖎. Daydream

chapter seven

chapter seven.               ice court, fjerda

 Her crime was existing.

 Aria Antonov was forever a convict just for being born, and now she was paying for it. She was settled into the corner of a cold room, barely recognizable with the way the female guard had beaten her. She'd been figured out for not being part of the Menagerie, and now she was thrown into a room with no windows, the door bolted shut. Her knees had been drawn to her chest, arms on her kneecaps. Aria felt the guilt of existence, the burden of the worlds hatred beating down on her shoulders. She was a mistake, perhaps. Everyone made sure she knew of that. She tried and tried to get away from it, but it never left her. This was forever her crime, and she'd be forever ridiculed of it. No matter if Ravka rebuilt itself, it didn't change the blackened hearts of the drüskelle or other people who discriminated against the people born with the skill of small science. Aria allowed herself to cry in the corner. She felt pathetic.

She was tasked with one simple job, get information, and she couldn't even get that right. Now, Nina was on her own. Aria wasn't one to rely on, she felt like always managed to mess it up. Aria readjusted her spot and winced in pain, feeling the stinging in her ribs where the guard had gotten the drop on her with the end of rifle. Dark thoughts plagued her mind as she sat in the silence. She wouldn't blame her friends if they left her behind to rot in a cell in the Ice Court. Perhaps she was better off there. Aria rested her head against the wall and stared around the room. It was featureless, it looked to be an empty office. There was barely anything in it. Aria pushed herself off the floor and stumbled to the barren desk. She began to fumble with drawers. The middle one was locked, but, Kaz Brekker didn't leave her without any tricks.

Aria pulled the pins from her hair and crouched down, she slid them into the lock and fiddled with it for a moment before the lock turned. She gave a satisfying smile. Aria dug through it, not finding much but letter openers, envelopes, watches. Then, she saw them. A flint wheel lighter. Her heart stuttered at the sight. Aria tucked the letter opener into her hair and walked to the door. She took a deep breath, wiping her tear stained cheeks. Aria flicked the lighter open and drew the screw from it, a fire on the end of it. She smiled, and took it into her hand. She made it bigger and bigger until the room gleamed orange. Aria drew her hand back and burst the door down, it caught fire and began to burn. Aria stood frozen, in awe of her own work. She wore and smile and stepped out. Guards began to rush down the hallway, guns raised.

Then, a shot rang from beside her. Kaz Brekker appeared at her side. "Just in time!" She grinned, grabbing one the soldiers and lodgings the letter opener in his neck. She burned another, watching as Kaz began to shoot one. When they stood in a quiet hallway surrounded by bodies, Aria found Kaz's gaze.