I immediately grew defensive, "Don't touch her!"

***

My outburst was met with a punch to the face. "You have no right to speak to me that way," he snarled, venom dripping from his every word.

"You and your brother's incompetence nearly cost me my livelihood and you wanna give me attitude!"

He picked up one of the beer bottles lying on the ground and just before he could throw it at me, Oscar screamed for him to leave me alone which only directed his anger towards him.

"Shut up!" he exclaimed, throwing the bottle at Oscar instead.

"You're a disgrace to the family. Your mother would be so disappointed," he spat out at me in a tone that stabbed at my chest.

Tears prickled at my eyes.

"Now don't you start crying, you know it's true," he said before shoving me to the ground and kicking me multiple times, causing me to start coughing up blood.

Oscar tried futilely to intervene but he just got punched.

Our dad put on his brass knuckles before beating us relentlessly.

***

Right before I fell out of consciousness, I heard him mutter to himself, "That'll show 'em."

Y/N's POV

The next day I was back in the line to get my papers, same procedure as usual.

When I got closer to the front, I heard some of the boys laughing, one of them saying, "Hey, looks like da Delancey bruddas got 'emselves into a scrap 'nd lost."

That comment caught my attention instantly because I knew what must've happened.

I payed for my papers and then hung back a little until Wiesel and all the other newsies were gone before going back in.

"What happened?" I asked with sympathy.

Oscar was the one who answered, Morris didn't even make eye contact with me. "Our father happened. Apparently Snyder was questioning our ability to do our jobs. He got real mad and soaked us."

"That's terrible I'm so sorry, guys." I reached to comfort Morris but he yanked his arm away.

"Don't you act all pitying, it's all your fault!" he snapped.
"Morris don't blame her," Oscar tried to reason with him.
"No, she's the reason Snyder's so mad! Maybe if we left her in the Refuge, everything would be better," he growled.

Those words cut deep and I felt like I got stabbed in the heart. I was frozen on the spot, unable to form words.

"Mo, you can't say that," Oscar tried in vain to calm him down but Morris just scoffed and walked out.

To hear the person I love pretty much say I'd be better off dead hurt more than anything but maybe he was right. Maybe it would be better if I was still in the Refuge right now.

I was lost in my own thoughts and didn't notice myself crying until Oscar's arms around me brought me back to reality.

I was sobbing hysterically. Not just because Morris' words hurt but more so because I felt guilty for what happened to them.

"You know he didn't mean it N/N," he tried to reassure me.
"Yeah he did."
"Y/N, I know my brother, there is absolutely no way he wishes you any harm."

"Maybe you're right-"
"I am," he interjected.
"But that doesn't change the fact that you guys would be better off without me."
"Y/N you know that's not true."

"Os, if you didn't break me out, this wouldn't have happened."
"Our dad was abusive long before we met you. Even with you out of the equation he'd find something else to be angry about. It's not your fault."

I clung to him tightly, afraid that on my own I'd fall apart.

"I'm sorry, Oscar."
"You have nothing to be sorry about. As for Morris, he doesn't really blame you for this. There's gotta be something else going on. He knows that it's not your fault."
"Thanks Os."

"Of course, now go sell your papers while the sun's still up. I'm gonna go talk some sense into my brother."
I gave him one last hug before going off to sell.

Today was a terrible day for selling. With everything weighing on my mind, I made not nearly as much as the previous days.

In fact, I didn't make enough to buy myself anything to eat so I went to bed not only depressed and anxious, but also hungry.

Morris' POV

I don't know what I was thinking. Actually that's it, I wasn't thinking. I most certainly did not blame her for Snyder and my father's anger.

I guess it was just the fear of anything happening to Katie combined with the hurt from Y/N not returning my feelings. There is no explanation that can justify what I said to her.

I wish there was something I could do to show her how sorry I am but ultimately there is no way that she could ever forgive me.

Good job Morris, you have successfully driven away the girl you love.

I heard footsteps coming towards me, followed by the sound of my brother's furious voice.

"What the hell, Morris! I can't believe you just said that!"
"I know! It just came out before I could stop myself. I don't really think that, Oscar, I don't," I sobbed.

He sighed.

"I know you don't. You gotta tell me what's going on, Mo. What's making you lash out like this?" he pried, gently.

"It's what he said about Mom. It's the threats to Katie. It's being rejected," I paused, "I'm just not good enough. I hate that I can't live up to the kind of person I should be. I hate that I'll never be good enough for anyone. Right now, more than anything I just hate myself."

Admitting my self hatred turned out to be a very difficult task but once I said it, I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders.

He pulled me into a hug, "You shouldn't be hating yourself, Morris. I don't wanna hear you say that again. You are good enough, okay."

"Os-"
"Morris, you are cared about so much more than you know. We all love ya. I can't just let you get in your own head and drive people away."

I broke down crying, "I didn't wanna hurt her."
"I know, but you did. Now it's all about fixing things. Talk to her."

I sighed dejectedly, "It's no use, she probably hates me now."
"I don't think she could ever hate you, but right now she's hurting. You gotta apologise, make sure she knows that you didn't really mean what you said. Make sure she gets it in her head how much you care about her."

"You really think I could fix things with her?"
"I know you can. You love her and she loves you. Things will work out."

A/N: Heyyy y'all. It's been a while ik, school's just rlly whack. Hope you liked the chapter :) Yoooo Morris has a lot to figure out haha

Peace ✌️