The minute the last bell rings on Friday, I find myself being one of the first people in the parking lot. 

"Hey, Beanie!" As I am about to get into my car, I hear my name being called. I look up and see Parsons jogging towards me.

"Yes?" I ask once he's right in front of me.

"How did your exams go?" He leans against the car, crossing his arms for warmth.

"I think they went well. You?"

"Easier than I thought." I nod.

He came over here to ask me about exams? Does he even remember what today is?

"Is that all you wanted to ask or...?"

"Yeah. That was all. See you soon." He waves goodbye before going to his car.

That was weird.

Tell me about it.

He didn't even say happy birthday.

Why does it matter? You never cared before if people said it or not.

I don't know. I just figured he'd remember is all.

I get into my car and find myself smiling when Journey is the first song that plays from my playlist.

"Just a small town girl." I sing the first part as I buckle up and begin leaving the parking lot.

I sing the lyrics as I drive, jamming out to the songs that play.

I get home quickly and I immediately get confused. There are no cars in the driveway. I didn't expect my friends to do anything, but Mom always takes my birthdays off.

A feeling of sadness overcomes me for a split second. Mom has never once missed a birthday of mine. I did notice her acting strange this morning, but I didn't question it.

Flashback

"Morning, Mom." I say, walking into the kitchen with a small smile on my face. Today is my birthday and for some reason, I'm looking forward to it.

"Morning, sweetie. How'd you sleep?" She doesn't look up at me as I walk in, keeping her eyes glued to her papers. I notice she's in her work attire.

"I slept okay." I realize she didn't make pancakes for breakfast like she always does on my birthday. I shrug it off and settle for a muffin and some apple juice instead. "Why are you dressed for work?" I ask, taking a bite of goodness.

"Mr. Nelson's sister called last minute and said she needed someone to watch him today. I told her I'd be able to." I'm glad that my mom helps take care of the elderly as an at-home nurse, but she always takes my birthday off, leaving a sad feeling in my stomach.

"Oh, okay." I check the time and sigh. "Well I better get going. See you later." 

And that was the last of the words we exchanged. I thought it was weird, but I figured she was just tired.

As I unlock the door to my house, I find sadness overcoming me. I walk in with my head hanging low. I set my things down and turn on the lights.

"Surprise!" I almost stumble backwards as I adjust my eyes to the sight before me. In front of me stands my friends and family.

"What is going on?" I say, confusion laced in my voice.

"A surprise party, duh." Ollie says, as if I should know entirely what's going on.

"Wait so you guys didn't forget my birthday?" At the moment, I'm trying to wrap my head around the situation.

"You thought we forgot your birthday?" Mom asks. I nod my head, scratching the back of my neck in embarrassment. "No we didn't forget. We just wanted this party to be a complete surprise."