The Keeper

A/N -

Hey everyone! So this is my first ever story on wattpad, so I hope I have some beginners luck. This is actually a story I wrote about a year ago, and didn't know what to do with, so I just posted it here. Tell me what you think, and hit me with your critism - just be gentle; I bruise easily.

Chapter One - Goodbyes

It was about noon when Laura, our mother, dropped my little sister Emma and me off. I was scared, I was nervous, but I knew it had to be done. I knew it was what Emma wanted, although she had never said anything. She and Mum have always been the best of friends, and she knew that it would hurt Mum if she said our parents fights were too much to bare.

So I had to.

Of course I hated to bring more burdens to the Summers' busy lives, but it was necessary at the time. My Mum and Dad's constant screaming was not only hurting my sister and I, but it was also incredibly annoying. So the time had come when I had to put my foot down. Ever-so-shyly, I explained that Emma and I didn't want to see the fights anymore, and, even though it hurt- hurt us all- they agreed that our cosy home back in Melbourne, Australia, wasn't the best place for us. At least not for a while, anyway. Calls had been made, and the aura of tension in our home did not go unnoticed. Finally, when Mum had called her older sister Jenny Daleson and literally begged for her to take us, we were accepted. I didn't particularly enjoy my Aunt Jenny's company. There was nothing I had against the woman, but I suppose she just tried too hard to make small talk. I was one of those, keep-their-mouths-shut-period people, and I was quite content to keep it like that. So now here we were, in our families' big jeep, with the sunroof down, and the rays of sunshine shinning through. I had tried to get as many last glimpses of home on the trip, but it was long gone, and now I was surrounded with the beautiful beaches, forests and restaurants of Nambour, Australia. The palm trees that grew above me were like strangers; the sound of sea-gulls unfamiliar. It was lovely, of course, but not home. Aunt Jenny lived in a small villa, next to lots of other cute homes. I'd seen the streets many times in photos; however I'd never seen it in person, before this day. I was counting the palm tree's when Mum finally stopped the car. We were by a turn off, and Jenny was just a few yards through farther down.

 I got out our big Jeep and then helped my tiny, seven-year-old sister out. The hot, dry summer air made my hands sticky. Once Emma was out I walked over to the driver's side and faced my mother through the wound down window. Mum was in the car playing nervously with her fingers.

"Bailey, are you sure?" Mum asked me uneasily, and I could see the pain in her hazel eyes; my eyes. I had to swallow the big lump in my throat before I could answer. It was strange, the way I felt right now, like it would literally kill me to say goodbye to her. I hadn't actually felt that way towards my mother before, and it felt odd. Mum and I loved each other, of course, but I'd never felt as trustful toward her as I did with my dad, Evan. There were many things we had in common; like our total fear of attention, and our hatred of maths and Disney singers.

"I'm sure, Mum. I'll take care of Emma. I promise." I vowed, looking down. And I would, although I was sure I wouldn't have to try too hard. After all, I'd had no trouble with the huge city of Melbourne, and I was sure Nambour would be even safer. And even more boring.

"Yes, you will. And if anything happens, you will call me." She ordered firmly. I sighed, then, looking back up at her, I did my best to smile. It was hard.

"What's the matter, Mum? Don't you trust me?" I asked playfully. She grimaced.

"It's not that I don't trust you, Bailey, I do. It's just . . . you're fourteen. You're just a child, and it feels horrible leaving you." She admitted, looking down sadly. I rubbed her arm- rested on the cars window frame- reassuringly.