"So, that's what he did to her in the church," Josh started. "Rosalind fought back so he did the second worst thing he could think of. It's like he poisoned the family tree."

"And look at this." Sam held a different notebook in her hands. "A year later, the Union became split with Solomon Goode ruling one side, and Edmund on the other. The split on the towns continued for generations."

"Even in the 18th century, the two towns hated each other," Joseph bitterly chuckled. He looked to his wife to see her deep in thought and placed a loving arm around her while rubbing her shoulder.

"Mrs. Santos, do you still get the nightmares," Deena questioned cautiously.

"Sometimes," she answered with a small sigh. "They become more bearable growing up. It's nothing to worry about now."

The girl nodded and stood up with Josh and Sam on either side of her. "We should head home now. I'll be sure to keep in touch, though."

"Of course." Jane-Anne gave a small smile. "I'll update you about the funeral arrangements. I know Kate and Simon's mothers wanted to talk it over as well, so..."

Deena nodded slowly. "Yeah, the school was going to have a small memorial for them."

"We'll be sure to stop by," Joseph said.

The three teens showed themselves out and left the two adults to dwell on the strenuous day. Jane-Anne moved to sit on the couch as Joseph was packing away all of Rosalind's belongings. The woman looked around her living room, feeling the empty feeling setting in. Her eyes trailed to the picture frames that held memories of her daughter from over the years. She was going to miss walking into Beckham's room and just seeing her lying on her bed doing homework or just listening to music. Seeing her was one of the most reassuring things in her life, knowing she was safe.

Joseph walked into the living room and sat next to her, seeing the tears fill her eyes. He said nothing and grabbed her hand while giving a gentle squeeze.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do." Her voice barely sounded above a whisper. "How am I supposed to continue being a parent? How am I supposed to wake up everyday, knowing she's..." She paused while letting out a soft cry. "I just want my baby back."

Joseph pulled his wife into his side as she sobbed into his shoulder. He sniffled while cradling her head, kissing her temple. "It's gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay."

It didn't feel like it, but they were going to be okay. Eventually.

*ੈ

               Returning to school was something no one looked forward to, especially Deena and Josh. With the weekend they went through, it might've been best to take the entire month off. But they had to be strong. They eventually had to get used to the idea that they would no longer be with them.

The ride to school was quiet. The radio wasn't playing either. Deena's fingers would wrap and unwrap around the steering wheel the closer they got to school. A pit formed in her stomach knowing that this would be the first time she'd have to walk in alone. No greeting from any of them. No Beckham to pop up behind her at the entrance, no Kate to approach her locker, and no Simon running down the hallway to wave good morning. But she had to push forward. The only reason she kept going was for them.

Josh stared out the window, counting the trees until he eventually got dizzy at the fast motion. He just wanted a distraction from it all. He may not have been as close with them like Deena, but it almost seemed that way that night. That one night that changed everything. Just like his sister, he was going to keep going for them.