Chapter 8

Ronan decided that Kiril had to appear all dirty, bruises and scratched as he was in front of the king to give him an idea of what the poor soldier has been through

Alyssa suggested an unused passage to avoid making it a show, and before entering the hall, Ronan added some stones into Kiril's boots to remind him to limp like his body was still aching. He grabbed his arm to hold him up.
Alyssa shot one last glance at the captain's look.
He looked already much better than how he was when they found him on the camp. But surely everyone could agree that he was victim of an injustice.

Alyssa watched the two men making slowly their way to meet the king, while she walked close to the wall to join the princess.
She spotted Hector on the other side of the room, controlled by two guards.
"See, your Majesty? He's still alive" he commented with his usual insolence "Our swordmaster only made a drama".
"He was more damaged than this" Ronan spat back "Our healers did their best. Hector almost killed him".
"Thirteen against one, right?" King Melech said peering at Kiril after a moment of silence "If we have more soldiers like you instead of deserters, we would have won this war by now".
Alyssa smirked as Kiril bowed with gratitude.
"Take all the time you need to recover. If any damage won't heal, my guards are instructed to inflict the same damage on Hector. Let's say, one broken leg for one broken leg".
Alyssa enjoyed seeing how Hector turned from red to white. She almost regretted making Lara fix Kiril's worst wounds, when she could have watched Hector getting them all.
"But Sir, you need every leg. I'll make amend...".
The King silenced him with a finger "Yes, by staying away from any training camp and the war room until I'll decide otherwise. Now get out of here and make yourself useful, instead of creating problems that Ravka doesn't need".
At the dismissive gesture from the King, the guards dragged Hector away.
Ronan thanked the King's justice, then accompanied Kiril away, getting an applause of sympathy from the witnesses standing in the hall.

"You look so distraught" Meira commented, wrapping her arms around her to comfort her.
"I am happy now that justice has been made" Alyssa said hugging the princess back.
She didn't want to stay away from Kiril for too long, so she quickly dismissed herself and walked to his room, finding him sitting on his bed while Ronan was freeing him from his boots.
Servants already brought a tub and filled it with warm water. Fire was burning in the hearth, next to a good stock of wood to feed it.
"Actually we can still force Hector to keep stones in his boots too" Ronan joked while she hugged the captain.
"He deserves worse. I'd punch and kick him myself".
"Don't ruin your hands and your feet for me, please" Aleksander said sweetly, kissing her hands.

Ronan cleared his throat looking away from thag intimate gesture and quickly dismissed himself.
"Can we now move to the phase where you take care of my lower body?" Kiril teased, when she couldn't stifle a laugh after the swordsman disappeared.
It was her turn to feel embarassed "Do you think I can handle it?".
"You're stronger than me" he said confidently.

She moved to the tub and checked the water "How can you turn something bad into a triumph?".
He chuckled "I didn't do anything".
She peered at him with an intense look "You didn't surrender, you didn't scream for help. Just like the King said, if more soldiers are like you, we have a chance to win. You are so special".
She walked to him again, confused by contrast of the weight of her words and how he looked so vulnerable and fragile, sitting in front of her.
"All I hope for is to be special for you" he said simply, taking her hands "So I can deserve a chance to be with you".
She wished to tell him to shut up. His words, his voice, his eyes, everything made her legs tremble.
She hugged him, losing her balance as he pulled her down on him.