Chapter 4: The Scarler Eyes [Act 3]

Start from the beginning

"Some important guest will be visiting later so make sure not even a single dust will remain." A strict looking man instructed three maids and when he gave the 'shooing' signal, the three of them hurriedly scrambled to their assigned locations, one of them even bumped into me.

She muttered an apology and before I can nod my head, she started running away until I can't see her anymore. She looked scared at me...or maybe at...

"Are you lost, lady (Y/n)? Do you need help?" I jolted back at the sudden question before I calmed myself down.

"Sir Simon! Actually, no. I was just roaming around and-" My words were cutted off when a loud crash echoes in the whole kitchen.

Everyone's attention turned near the sink area where a broken porcelain plate was chilling on the floor. A young black haired maid dusted off her hands covered in soap bubbles using her apron. She quickly borrowed a broom and tried to clean up the mess she made.

She's obviously anxious and nervous but she continued on with her work not until another woman steps in.

She looked way more older and tidier. "Josephine! You stupid rat with no brain! Give me that broom!" The old woman yelled at the poor maid with authority, her hands on her hips.

My attention diverted back at Simon when he suddenly bowed and lead me to the hallway. "Lady (Y/n), I apologise for the foolish act of one of our servants. Please do not let it concern you." He urged me to follow him and to not meddle with the happenings in the kitchen.

I nodded in response, not knowing what and how to answer and just followed him.

But I was certain that I heard the old woman told Josephine to pick up the broken pieces using her bare hands...and yet I did nothing.

I snapped out of my reverie when Simon suddenly spoke.

I was in deep thinking that I didn't notice Albert's presence, talking to Simon.

"Of course, Albert-sama. I'll take my leave now. Please, excuse me." And after that, Simon left.

"Lady (Y/n), do you-"

"Albert-sama," I cutted him off by calling his name. Rude it is but I wanted to know. "Was it always like this?"

The way our fathers talk lowly of the people who are struggling financially, the way people think those on lower class aren't humans too, even during lunch, those two adopted brothers didn't even join us because they wouldn't allow it even if they are now part of the family...was it always like this?

He gave me a confused look before I dismiss the thought off and try to change the topic. No, I shouldn't have asked him. I'm so insensitive and selfish...

"Do you know that the kids in the ragged school admire you so much?" I asked him, a kind smile forming on his lips.

"They surely admire you too." He replied.

After that, there was a long pause as we continued to walk through the hallways into "Ah, Lady (Y/n), can I ask you a question?" He asked.

His words made me giggle a little bit. "Aren't you asking already? But, go on. I'll try to answer it." He slightly laugh at my corny joke before continuing.

"I've always wondered the reason behind your visits in the ragged school. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but, may I know what is your motive?" My heart almost skip a beat when his eyes landed on my (e/c) orbs. His tone was serious that made me a little bit nervous.

What is my motive? Why am I visiting the ragged school?

I gulped the lump in my throat before answering with a smile on my lips. "Simply because I love the people there. And it's really heartwarming to see them smile. Even if some people doesn't like what I do, I do not care."

As I look up at Albert, his face softened and he also had a small smile. "I thought this twisted world is hopeless. But then you and them gave me hope. He's right, the courage must come from ourselves, from me." He mumbled some other parts of his statements that I could barely hear but now, I suddenly felt like, I wasn't alone in changing this world, this country.

As I was about to open my mouth, an old man butted in. "My apologies for interupting your conversation, Mr. Albert, but my daughter and I needs to go now." The old man turned out to be my father.

I guess time flies that I hadn't notice the time. I bid my goodbye to Albert and he did the same before I went to our family carriage.

I sat infront of my father. The carriage started moving as the view of the Moriarty mansion became smaller and smaller.

"My daughter," My father called, waiting for me to turn my attention into him. "I see that you had a good time with Mr. Moriarty's oldest son, are you perhaps interested in him?" I almost choke on his question as he gave me a teasing smile.

"It's not like that, father. We were just friends." I told him, trying to keep my voice in a normal tone.

He laugh at my response before gently patting my head. "Well, if that's what you say...but, it's been a while since I last saw you happily talk to a noble."

"Whatever you want in life, your mother and I will always be here for you, my child." My lips curved into a small grin. Even if he changed, he's still the father that I knew and I'm glad he still cared for me after mom's death.

My gaze look up at father only to see his face plastered with a bittersweet smile.

My heart started pounding fast, it's like...

...something bad is gonna happen.

● ● ●

Three days later, during a peaceful night...the Moriarty mansion burned down. And only the three brothers survived,

Albert, William and Louis.