Chapter 4: The Scarler Eyes [Act 3]

1st POV

"I'm really sorry. If only I was little bit braver. If only I had the courage...then things wouldn't have ended up like this." I bowed my head once again, still apologising.

"You don't have to apologise, my lady and my lord. The two of you did nothing wrong." The older brother calmly spoke as his younger sibling is tending to his wounds. I nodded my head in response before excusing myself to the three of them in which they agreed.

As I leave, I made my way to the Moriarty's huge outdoor garden to breath some fresh air.

I cannot bear to show myself infront of them any longer. I was so useless...and stupid. All I did was to mutter some few words and a single glare from William shut me up!

I shook my head repeatedly when the scenario earlier replayed in my head. It wasn't because I was weak that I couldn't do anything...but it was because I was scared.

"I like the summer breeze as well." My head snapped at the boy that I'd least wanna see. He gave me a smile but I returned a glare.

After what he did, I don't want to pretend anymore that eveything he does is fine with me when it actually isn't.

"What do you want?" I spat those words like venom, enough for him to tell that I wasn't enjoying his company.

He ignored my question as he continued on talking about his favorite thing to do during summer. Yeah, like stabbing people's hands with fork.

The more that he continues to speak, the more I see him as a normal person with no attitude like an animal's.

And the more that I think about it, we could actually become great friends...that's if, some things were different from what it is now.

If only this stupid class system doesn't exist.

● ● ●

It's been days since that incident and our family was once again invited to the Moriarty's household. And this time, it wasn't just a friendly invitation from Albert...but it was from the head of the Moriarty family itself.

"Ah, yes. Good old times! I can still remember when you fell while riding a horse." Laughter bursted all over the place while I was trying to enjoy my meal.

"Really? But I never remember such thing happened to me before! The only thing that I remember was beating you into that horse racing competition." My father innocently replied to his 'friend'.

"Oh goodness, you just won because I wasn't really trying hard that time." Mr. Moriarty stated, showing a proud grin in return.

"Well, even if you try hard, we all know who's still gonna win." I could see a slight irritation on Mr. Moriarty's face but it was later turned into a small smile before he finally gave in and nodded.

The both of them continued chatting and laughter is all over the place, even if there's nothing to actually laugh at.

My grip on the knife and fork tighten as I try to suppress being irritated as well. These two old men are painfully loud when in fact, all they were talking about is nonsense and sometimes, they were lowkey insulting each other and compete on whos better.

After the lunch, father, Mr. Moriarty and his wife went to talk more about things. And while waiting, I decided to roam around.

My feet carried me to the kitchen where I saw the same maid that cleaned up the table, washing the dishes. There were others who were sweeping the floor, some were helping the cook to ready some ingredients.