Chapter 7

South peered around the corner of the building, relieved to see a figure hurrying towards him.

"Robert," the figure said, collapsing against him. He smiled; this girl was even more intoxicated by him than her sister was.

"You came my darling, I am so glad." He said and kissed her golden curls.

"Is everything going as planned?" She asked, looking up at him seriously with her captivating eyes.

"Yes, of course it is. But you mustn't worry about it."

"I'm so glad." She smiled and kissed him. "I was scared when I set Jane up that-" she began but he cut her off.

"You what?"

"I convinced Jane to try to, well, to entice Samuel."

"Why?" He hissed.

"I thought it would help you my love. That's all I've ever really wanted to do."

"What gave you the idea that would help me?"

"I thought you wanted mother to break the engagement."

"No!" Robert cried. "Are you mad, woman?"

"What? I'm sorry, I only wanted to help!" She had started to cry, tears slipping down her face.

"And by doing so, you've made it worse." He shoved her aside angrily.

"Darling, I doubt it will work. He seems very disinterested in her."

"It was still a foolish move."

"I'm sorry, what else can I say?" She asked, suddenly impatient. 

"Nothing," he said and started to walk off.

"Robert! You can't leave me like this!" She cried, "Robert!" But it was too late, he had gone.

She stamped her foot in irritation before turning around and walking back up the street. She returned to her carriage and went home.

She was going to give Jane the money and tell her to stop. As soon she was home she reached home she went upstairs and wrote a letter:

Jane,

 I'll give you the money tomorrow. But stop with Samuel. I gave you the wrong instructions. Meet me at the Blue Ribbon at half past three this afternoon.

-Miss Newton.

 She sealed it and put it on her dresser. She'd get it delivered tomorrow, but for now, she needed sleep. It was almost midnight and she was tired. She changed into her nightgown and crawled into bed, falling asleep almost instantly. 

///

    Croome Park's library was filled with sunlight and Samuel sat in an armchair, a half empty glass of port by his elbow.

"Miss Jane Waters to see you sir," a footmen entered the room. Samuel sighed and stood up, draining the last of his drink.

"Show her in," he instructed. The footmen nodded and a few minutes later Jane Waters entered the room. Her eyes were red, as if she had been crying and a few tears leaked from her eyes upon seeing Samuel.

"Miss Waters how are you this afternoon?" Samuel asked as pleasantly as he could manage.

"Not well I fear," she said.

"I am sad to hear that. What ails you?" He asked. She took a folded paper out of her ridicule and handed it to him:

Dear Miss Waters