[00] prison break

Start from the beginning

Ooh. That had to hurt. She quickly got back onto her feet, watching as it's bulky stature fell to the ground with a loud 'thud.' "Nighty night, big fella," she stated, turning around to step through the now opened door.

Kate held the palm of her hand out in the air and deployed her ghost, "Time to work your magic, little guy." Pip knew what to do as he flew over towards the terminal, his grey shell rotating every now and then as he scanned the console. She turned towards the doorway to keep an eye out for any more unwanted guests. Suddenly, she heard a frustrated sigh coming through her earpiece.

"I've hit a locked door. Any updates for me?" Petra questioned. Just as she asked that, Pip finished his task.

"Bringing the security system back online," the ghost informed his guardian.

"Good work, Pip," Kate praised, watching him give a nod before dissipating into thin air, merging into one with her light, which was his safe space. "The security system is up and running," she told her partners through the comm.

"Way to go, rodeo!" Cayde's loud, cheerful voice erupted into her ear, "You in the green now, P.V.?" The differences in her partner's personalities seemed to collide a few times with one another, sparking a few challenges every now and then. Petra Venj was kinda hardheaded and a very 'by the rules' type of gal, whilst Cayde-6 was a crazy cool Exo that just couldn't seem to keep his mouth shut.

But..who was Kate? Well, she was...a tad bit dysfunctional, and sometimes, she could get kinda angry. Though, no matter what, she always, always, found a way to finish a job. Her heavy boots collided with the ground as she made her way back out onto the catwalk, which overlooked just one of the many halls of the Prison of Elders. "Yes," Petra replied to Cayde, "accessing the lower levels now." Kate looked over the edge, watching as the blue lights powered up all throughout the prison.

Cayde was just a few floors above her, and Petra was on one of the lower floors, looking so tiny from so far away. "Alrighty, looks like we're all done and dusted here, kiddos," Cayde began, "ramen's on me."

Kate scrunched her nose up in disapproval behind her helmet, "We had that yesterday."

"Yeah...but there's no such thing as too much noodles, Katey pie," he told her.

"Okay, first of all—gross. Don't call me that. Second of all—you got to pick last time, so now it's my turn."

Cayde looked down at her from his spot higher up, "Down, kitty Kat. Your fangs are starting to show." She rolled her eyes at this, and just as she was about to say something, Petra spoke up.

"You two—stop your nonsense," she scolded them, continuing on to report her findings, "We're looking pretty good down here. Just gotta check one last thing..." Petra entered an area that was originally locked up tighter than a nun's nickers, disappearing from their sight. Kate placed her hand cannon in her gun holster and began descending downwards towards the next floor. It was gonna take a hot minute to get to where Petra was.

"No.." Petra suddenly said in disbelief, grabbing her team's attention, "No, no, no! Damnit, he's gone!" Kate furrowed her eyebrows at this.

"Who's gone?" She questioned, stopping to peer over the edge.

Petra spoke frantically, "Cayde, this isn't a prison riot. It's a prison break!" Kate was extremely lost, not knowing what Petra was getting at, or why she wasn't filled in with all the details of this mission in the first place.

"Hey—what are you talking about?" Kate questioned, her voice sounding more stern in hopes that she wouldn't be ignored this time.

Petra sighed, "There's no time to explain now. Look, the airlock on Deck Zero. It's the only way out this far down. They're going to escape!" Kate held a perplexed expression whilst blinking a couple times, trying to keep up and understand the new situation at hand. First, she'd said 'he's gone'—now it's 'they're going to escape.' Who's they, and what kind of help was Kate right now if she didn't know what the hell was going on?

"Not if I get there first," Cayde's voice rang throughout her earpiece. She watched as the Exo swiftly jumped up onto the large airlock, making it look easy. At some point during the riot, the airlock had actually caught fire. The big flames sizzled, and thick clouds of smoke rose up into the air. A frustrated huff escaped Kate's lips as she began making her way down the levels of the prison in a fast paced jog, practically running.

"I'm apart of this team, too," Kate said, sounding a bit offended, and undoubtedly pissed, "What is it that you couldn't bother to tell me from the very beginning since apparently it wasn't that important for me to know?"

"I left out one minor detail, Kate," Petra said, letting out another sigh, which she seemed to do a lot.

"Yeah, and that minor detail completely flipped this whole damn mission upside down on us," Kate snapped, "Now tell me what it is before this gets even more out of hand." Petra didn't like the way Kate was demanding to know what she didn't need to know. She felt that Kate wasn't at all matured enough yet to handle the big boy tasks. But Zavala seemed to call upon Kate the most lately, despite her still enduring her training. Perhaps Petra was just a tiny bit jealous.

"Uldren Sov and the Barons, that's who escaped—and they're dangerous. Now, it's very crucial that we find them and—" Petra was cut off as the sound of gunshots echoed throughout the Prison. She then proceeded to call out the Exo's name worriedly, "Cayde..?" Kate stopped in her tracks and looked up over the edge, her blue eyes landing on the airlock which was now free falling towards the ground with Cayde still on it. Time seemed to slow whilst he waved to her as he passed by.

That crazy Exo was always getting himself into trouble.

Large pieces of rubble came hurling down with him, and before she knew it, the airlock collided with the ground, causing an explosion to erupt. Kate's eyes widened as her lips parted in shock at the sight. "Cayde!" Petra yelled, immediately turning to run off in a different direction to get to Deck Zero. The blast was so powerful that the structure of the building began to collapse. Sounds of metal squeaking and walls crumbling shook the platform Kate was standing on.

Before she even had time to react, the floor below her gave way, and now she was free falling. She tried to use her powers that the light gave her by trying to double bounce, to try and reach for anything to grab onto—but to no avail. She prepared herself for a very harsh impact, and knew it was gonna hurt like a son of a bitch.

petra when cayde and kate are talking:

author's note.
the prologue is up!! uldren will be
introduced in the next chapter! i hope
you enjoyed it, and if you did, please
remember to vote and comment!! 🤍

the prologue is up!! uldren will beintroduced in the next chapter! i hopeyou enjoyed it, and if you did, pleaseremember to vote and comment!! 🤍