𝟬𝟬. the beginning ✔︎

Start from the beginning

After saving up enough money the girls were just going to travel, leave. They only had each other left, until social services knocked on the door.

Being told about an uncle on their fathers side of the family that lived in north carolina - outerbanks that had agreed to adopt the girls as a legal guardian.

Next thing they know they're packing and on a plane to meet this uncle they've never met.

——

We're the pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope calls up to JohnB who is balancing on the roofs edge, "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival"

"Hm" JohnB hummed in response to the boy, before putting his finger in his mouth and putting it up into the air before smiling, "Should I do it?" he asks turning towards the rest of the group.

JJ who was sat on the top of some construction work, with Layla stood behind him wearing jj's hat and allowing her hands to ruffle through his hair attempting to braid his blonde strands with small elastic ties that she found in the back pocket of her denim shorts.

Aven who was led on the deck near Pope with her sunglasses on sunbathing, her legs exposed to the suns rays.

"Yeah, jump" Pope called, "I'll shoot you on the way down" he says pulling up a drill and aiming it at JohnB, making the routledge boy look down at him with a smirk,

"You'll shoot me?" JohnB asks

"Yep" Pope answers, "Pow!" he says and JohnB makes his fingers into a gun and gestured shooting the boy back before a tanned girl steps out behind the doors, joining the conversation.

"Their gonna have japanese toilets with towel warmers" she complains walking towards Pope.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?" Pope asks.

"I can't have cold towels" Aven sings out, lifting up her sunglasses to look at the group, as he dark eyes make eye contact with Kiara she lets off a sneaky wink before sliding her glasses back down shading her brown eyes.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kiara complains, before looking up at JohnB on the roof as his one foot was dangling off the edge, "Can you please not kill yourself?" she asks.

"Don't spill that beer" JJ adds, "I'm not giving you another one" he says.

"Bet you five bucks he spills it in the next minute" Layla leans down resting her head on his shoulder smiling.
JJ turns his head to the side to look towards her with a smirk.

"You're on-" he says before JohnB drops the beer as it lands on the deck where the other two pogues are stood.

"Oh, shit" john b says as it hits the deck

"Of course you did" JJ says shaking his head at the timing of the incident.
JJ looks at the can and groans before digging into his pocket and pulling a wrinkled five dollar bill and handing it to the blonde girl who was smirking.

Pressing her lips to the blonde boys cheek watching the pattern of pink blush glide along his cheeks, while she takes the bill popping it into her shorts.

"Dumbass" Kiara says, shaking her head with a smile at JohnB's idiotic actions before a distant shout catches Pope's attention.

"Hey, security's here!" Pope calls out to the group of troubled teens, "Let's wrap it up".

"Boy's are early today" JohnB says before looking at JJ who starts to roll off the building.

"Exercise?" Aven muttered standing up and tucking her sunglasses into her shirt, "I'll pass" she smirks making Kiara elbow the girl, grasping her wrist and pulling her towards the house.

"Humpty Dumpty, let's roll" JJ exclaims before rolling off the work and hopping down onto the ladder and leaning over before calling out to the one of the cops, "Gary? is that you?"

He looks back up holding his arms out for the blonde girl who was watching them climb out the vehicle.
As she looks down at him smiling and letting him help her down, his hands grasp at her hips as she felt his fingers merge with her skin, lifting her up as she jumps over the railing and feeling him gently place her down.

She takes the hat off her head, placing it backwards on the boy in front of her with her smile across her features.

Let the chase begin.

"You know its me" they hear Gary shout back to JJ as he watches JohnB follow him and Layla climb off the brackets, before they all join together on the deck.

"Gary, good to see you man!" JJ shouts back, Aven nudges the blonde boys arm causing him to look at her before she sighs.

"You're just asking for it you know?" she says to him as he responds with a light snicker.

"Come on, lets go" JJ says to the group before they run through the house laughing and cheering.

Running down the stairs, trying to escape the two cops, while jumping over the fence JJ and Pope try to catch up to the van that contained the rest of the pogues.

As the two teenage boys hop in the side of the van making JohnB start driving as Pope slides into the passenger seat.

"Hey, check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise" Pope motions while crawling into the passenger seat.

"Come on, Gary!" JJ calls before looking out the van,
"Wait. Slow down" he says to JohnB who follows the blondes request by slowing down the van watching his movements as he leans out the door watching Gary run after them.

"You're gonna give him a heart attack" Kiara says watching the scene before her.

"Free gym membership?" Layla speaks out with a smile as Kiara nudges her leg with her sneaker making her hide her expression.

"You're so close! You can do it" JJ says to Gary who is still running towards them before the teenager chucks the empty can at Gary who goes to catch it but misses.

JJ groans as Gary drops the can, "They don't pay you enough bro" he sighs as Gary stops chasing the van and layla grabs jj's shirt pulling him back into the van.

"JJ, stop!" kiara says looking at him as he chuckles.

"Oh, come on" he explains to the girls,

"That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished" he chuckles before Aven holds out her hand for a high five shielding it from the curly haired girl, JJ smirks returning the gesture before all the teens all join in with the laughter after crossing the bridge and passing the outer banks sign that read,

'welcome to the outer banks - paradise on earth'

——

the outer banks - paradise on earth

It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. two tribes, one island.

Figure eight, the rich side of the island - home of the kooks.

So, guess where we don't live.

And then, this is the south side or the cut
home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters.

The natural habitat of the pogues
That's us. Pogue's, pogies, the throwaway fish, lowest member of the food chain.

So, the downside of pogue life is we're ignored and neglected.
But the upside of pogue life? we're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want.
everybody has a story, and this was theirs just beginning.

1753 words: edited.