Chapter Nine: A Dance in the Rain

Start from the beginning

Calico shrugged, not really caring, his head leaned back basking his face in the sun with his eyes closed, before peeking his eye open to glance sideways at Kade, a small smirk spreading over his face. "They're probably jealous."

"Jealous of what?" Kade asked, somewhat oblivious to what teenage girls had to be jealous of so that they stared at two people sitting on a surfboard.

"You of course. They're used to seeing me with my friend Zay, not with you, so they're jealous I found a new friend that wasn't them." Calico explained carelessly, as if something like social drama was easy to understand.

Kade kicked his legs in the water, enjoying the way the water tickled his toes and felt cool against his legs.
"I still don't see why they would be jealous of me, it's not like I'm a girl and threatening their chances with you."

"Kitten they all know I'm bisexual, everyone does." Calico grinned, suddenly turning and putting a hand on the surfboard on either side of Kade's legs, their faces inches from each other.

Kade felt his face turn furiously red as he let himself slip off of the surfboard out from under Calico's teasing smirk, flipping the surfboard in the process so both boys tumbled into the water.

Calico and Kade both popped their heads up at the same time, Kade brushing his wet hair out of his eyes while Calico laughed.

"If you're gonna get so flustered you flip us into the water when I tease you, then you aren't helping the case of them staring at us." Calico called him out, effortlessly pulling himself back onto the board.

Kade would've been lying if he said he hadn't watched the way the muscles on Calico's back moved through his shirt, almost hypnotically. But he quickly got over that and hauled himself up again as well.

"Oh look he has a forehead." Calico cooed, making Kade roll his eyes again as Calico flicked his forehead, as his hair was pushed out of his face.
"You know, you really don't see how stunning your eyes are unless you're in the sunlight." Calico said suddenly, making Kade very self conscious about his face, tugging his hair back down even if it was wet.

"Don't do that, strut them, show them off, not many people have green eyes like that." Calico insisted, starting to reach out to brush back the hair on his forehead, but stopped when Kade flinched when his hand came near his face.

"Sorry." Calico immediately withdrew, keeping his hands to himself and allowing Kade a little breathing room.
"Do your mom or dad have green eyes?"

Kade knew Calico hadn't meant to trigger any sort of grief, but at the mention of his parents, Kade immediately lifted his feet out of the water, pulling them up to his chest and hugging them. "My mom did."
He left it at that, letting the past tense speak for itself.
Kade was not willing to talk about that, and it was clear that she was no longer alive by the way he was acting.

Calico didn't say anything for a minute, his eyes glancing over Kade as though trying to figure something out.

"I'm sorry I forgot you told me about that, I didn't mean to make you upset." Calico murmured, and Kade shrugged.

"Both of them, and my siblings, gang accident." Kade said briefly before swallowing and adding- "Right in front of me."

Calico sucked in a small breath before opening his arms in case Kade wanted a hug at the moment.

But at the moment, Calico was too shirtless, too hot, and other people were still watching, so Kade shook his head, letting Calico's arms drop to his side.

"If there's anything I can do-"

"Stop- just drop it." Kade pleaded, not wanting to be vulnerable about that topic with anyone.
But he did hold out his hand.