⤹ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 - "𝑺𝑯𝑬𝑳𝑩𝒀 𝑪𝑶𝑴𝑷𝑨𝑵𝒀 𝑳𝑻𝑫"

"𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐋𝐓𝐃" ↰

𝐈 𝐖𝐎𝐍'𝐓 lie when I say I was Finn gave me the chills when he presented my two options again - and despite not finding Finn the most fearful peaky blinders I've seen, I make a somewhat wise decision to follow Finn.

"Ferrington huh? Sounds a bit fancy for Birmingham", I turn to Finn at his curiosity of my last name. "I-I mean, you know, you don't exactly sound or look like you belong here" he continues, stuttering as he tries not to hurt my feelings.

I giggle at his words before pondering about my answer, "my name may sound fancy, and I may dress like a princess, but my family is far from it".

"How so?"

"Our family used to be like those posh pricks in London, but when my father took over the business, he moved to Birmingham", I recall.

"Oh.. using our big words are we?" Finn laughs.

I give him a little shove as I let out a laugh as well before continuing. "My father wanted to change the way people saw us, so brought me up here in Birmingham" I finish.

"What business is your father in?" Finn asks as we pass a couple houses. "Cars" I reply.

"What type of cars?"

"Wow you ask a lot of questions don't you Finn?" I chuckle, my eyes glancing to left of me where Finn slows his steps.

"Just curious, plus I've got to get to know the girl who I plan to take out in apology for getting her dress soaked" he says smirking at me.

I stop in my tracks and give Finn a wary look. A peaky boy - interested in me? Oh dear.

"Why would you do that?" I ask, "you know what, I should go" I quickly speak, turning around.

But before I can take a step my wrist is yanked back and I'm pulled into Finn's chest, his chest heaving in panic.

"No! Please, look I'm sorry, I won't ask anymore questions, let me get you some new clothes and a check for the dress..." he says, his eyes pleading.

"And then you can go on your way" he says, his head hanging low for a couple seconds before looking me in the eyes again.

A 5 minute walk leads us to a building not far from the ironworks factory. A door stands in our way with the words "Shelby Company LTD" painted in the middle.

"Come on, my aunt and sister might have some clothes you can borrow" Finn says, his voice quiet and calm.

He leads me up to the second floor, holding the door open for me. My eyes meet an older woman's as she shuffles through some papers.

When she sees me her eyes harden, only softening a little when she sees the state of my dress.

"Who's this?" she practically barks, walking closer to Finn. "Poll, uh this is Jessica Ferrington, Isiah and Billy were chasing me with water and she got caught in the crossfire" he explains, laughing a little.

She looks me up and down, walking around in a circle before smiling at me. "Come with me my dear, I'll get you something dry to put on, and I'll get Thomas to sort out a check for the dress" she says, leading me to another room.

"Pretty girls like you shouldn't get involved with us Shelby's" the woman named Polly says as she lays out a white blouse and black skirt for me.

I look up at her, my eyes not leaving hers. "I um... it was never my intention Mrs Shelby" I answer, my voice coming out quiet and scarce.

A laugh erupts from her mouth as she walks over to her desk, taking a cigarette out of a little tin. "It's Ms Gray actually, but don't worry my dear, you can call me Polly" she says, taking a drag of her cigarette.

"You're the daughter of Bruce Ferrington aren't you? The 'car' dealer".

"Tommy has been trying to business with him for years" she says, eying me up and down.

I just nod my head as I begin to put on the blouse and skirt, laying my wet dress on the couch next to me. "My father tries not to do business with people he can't see himself trusting" I reply, giving Polly a glance.

"I can't blame your father for not trusting Thomas Shelby, but he would benefit a lot if he did" she says, giving me the side eye.

"Thomas wants to expand the business, your father is on his list of people to get on board".

I nod my head as I gather my things, wanting to get out of this situation before I get wrapped up in any more Shelby business.

I quickly make my way through the double doors not even bothering to check and knock before entering.

The moment I enter, I'm met with a shirtless Finn, my cheeks heating up as soon as we make eye contact.

He chuckles to himself before grabbing a fresh shirt and slinging it around his body before buttoning it up. "I see aunt Poll got you sorted" he says walking over to me with a shy smile.

I nod my head and okay with the hem of the shirt, trying to hide my red cheeks.

Finn chuckles again, slowly tilting my head up with his forefinger, "please let me repay you by taking you out" he says, almost in a whisper.

I shake my head and sigh.

"I'm sorry Finn, I just can't".

↱ 𝐚𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬
- again I'm not sure how I like this chapter so I might come back and rewrite it at some point
- also the first few chapters of this book will be like filler chapters until I get to the good bit 😂
- hope you're enjoying this book so far