36: He faced his enemy in her true form.

Cypur tried again, but it was the same thing. Again. Again! The line of Sorcerers began to laugh at his attempts. If he couldn't do this, he was practically useless in this battle. He only knew a little of swordsmanship and only a few useful spells for occasions like this.

I knew I should have spent more time browsing through forbidden spells!

"Bastard!" He kicked at the ground.

Arius rode the giant frog-like Faud, brandishing his sword and declaring a duel with any challengers. "I fight for what is right! Come to me if you deem yourselves worthy opponents."

Police jumped and hovered in the air. Five to meet Arius alone. They sent spell after spell against him which he canceled, dodged, or hit back with his sword. They weren't giving him a fair chance to fight back. Ropes latched around his arms, and he dropped his sword. Before he could summon it, a policewoman kicked him in the stomach and punched him in the face.

Arius' Faud shrunk beneath him until he was on the ground, surrounded. Cypur paused from trying the explosion spell again as police captured Arius in invisible rope. They kicked and punched him.

Wescherlie was trying to get out of her net, but another one came on top of it, making it harder to escape. She winced every time she used her magick.

I have to do something. I have to save them. But Cypur's thoughts were alone in not giving up. His legs were rooted to the ground. His palms sweaty and hands shaking. Dread fell over his shoulders. This was the end of the line, but how fitting as they stood at the literal edge of the Ring.

The policewoman took a few steps forward until he could make out something on her belt—his dagger. That was where it got to?

She flashed him a smile but maintained her blank stare. "I know such a perfect student like you does not like to lose but sometimes, Cromlight, life is not fair. You were born a criminal for it is criminal you have such pure, golden magick. It is power you cannot handle, and which hurts you because it makes you murder."

"You want my murderous magick," he said, and she nodded.

"Extract it and put it in a bottle. Let's all stop this foolish cat and mouse game, Cromlight." She held out her hand and came closer. "Come with me. Free yourself of such horrendous power." She licked her lips and her eyes turned black. Cypur eyed that dagger. The precious dagger that Arius made for him and that the Kathula female polished and sharpened. He noticed something else, too. Having kept his distance from the policewoman, he hadn't had the chance to stare at her attire. It wasn't right and he knew this because his parents had long made police uniforms.

She's wearing a fraud?

Thoughts and ideas whizzed around in his mind. He noticed all the police were wearing the wrong uniforms. The colors were right, but the insignia was on the left lapel, the pockets were square on the bottom, and the number of buttons were the same, and so many other small things only a trained eye would notice.

Why haven't I thought of staring at them before? But he couldn't be sure his theory was right, although he had a hunch. "What are the five numbers that mention magick extraction for a criminal case? I'd like to know, Missus, if you would be kind to remind me. And then I will be happy to hand it over."

The policewoman smiled and licked her lips again. "Number thirty-eight, fifty, fifty-one, and sixty-three." She kept coming closer. "And your magick will be safe with me." She hiccupped. "With us."

"You mean thirty-seven?"

The policewoman paused. "Right, of course. What a silly mistake," She laughed, "Now, come along to me."