Chapter 34 - Redemption Part III - Please Don't Hate Me

Start from the beginning

I reach into my pocket for my phone and dial the Beta's number.

"Teagan", I say when he answers. "This is Pete Danver. I'm on the trail at the North end of town where the forest juts out a bit, where people like to go jogging. You know where that is? I'm here with my boyfriend and we've just been attacked by two rogues. I killed them, but there's a third rogue with them. It's an omega and he looks starved and is in pretty bad shape."

Before long, Teagan, Andrew's Beta arrives with several other warriors in a couple of trucks. They load the dead rogues into the back of one of the trucks and then approach the submissive wolf at the edge of the woods. A low whine is audible but he allows the men to approach. They coax him into the back seat of the truck and two of them get in and take off, leaving the others to return in the second truck.

Avery's eyes are as big as saucers after watching the little wolf jump into the back seat of the truck followed by two men.

"We need to get him to Jarvis." Teagan says. "Looks like you need to see him too for those claw marks."

I glance down at the deep cuts, grimacing a bit at them. 'This is going to scar', I think to myself. The one thing that remains after Levi left is that my body still heals faster than a normal human would, but not quite as fast as it would if he were still with me. We're not sure why this is, because it is normal for a werewolf to heal slower when his wolf is weak. Mine isn't just weak, I don't have one any more.

---

Passing through the clinic, I noticed Avery glance at the small, malnourished youth lying on an examination table as we pass an examination room with a guard at the door. The doctor leads us to an examination room just a little further down the hall indicating we should enter. He follows us in and closes the door.

"Hello Pete." Jarvis nods at me; I've grown to friends with a number of this pack's members while I was living in the pack house. Jarvis is one of the pack's doctors and we became good friends and drinking buddies.

"Got into a bit of a scuffle there, did ya?" He chuckles, looking over the deep scrapes on my arms.

Avery looks at the doctor, shocked at his nonchalance over the deep scrapes.

"Hey, Jarv." I say. "Yeah, bumped into a couple of rogue wolves on my jog."

"I heard. Tim's taking care of the omega. He's in pretty bad shape. Looks like they were using him as their pet slave." I wince hearing that. It makes me think about Jaxon and everything I'd done to him. Things I will regret for the rest of my life, and not just because it cost my my wolf. It almost cost me my humanity as well; in fact, for a while I did lose my humanity.

He patches me up and we continue some small talk. I introduce Avery and he checks him over too; he seems to be suffering a bit of shock.

While we're being patched up and checked out, Alpha Andrew arrives and I explain what happened once again. Talking about everything in front of a human makes it hard to make a report because we have to dance around the werewolf thing. Though, it's clear to both of us that Avery is connecting some dots. He grew up in this town, and there have always been rumors about werewolves and agreements with the town's leaders and such. Most people just think of them as urban legends, but when you've just been attacked by wolves and everyone involved is so nonchalant about it, he's obviously got questions.