4. Still Very Easy To Coax

Start from the beginning

Meng Changzhou, "......"

Yu Yan leaned against the window, inadvertently looking out of the window.

Mu Yungui was feeding the horses in the stable not far away.

The ebony black horse with snow-white spots beside him was called Xiao Hei, a gift from Yu Yan for his twentieth birthday. When it first arrived, it was just a colt. The two of them trained this horse together.

And yet, the little guy has always been more sticky towards Mu Yungui. Currently, it was arching its strong head towards Mu Yungui's chest.

Mu Yungui was helpless against it, lightly caressing its mane.

He turned sideways to the open window, the sunlight shining on the side of his face outlined a deep and handsome silhouette.

Mu Yungui's palm stroked the horse's mane. Almost feeling the weight of Yu Yan's gaze, he raised his head, unhurriedly meeting Yu Yan's line of sight.

Be it the past or the present, Mu Yungui has always stood where he could see Yu Yan at a glance, and also where he could be easily seen.

Yu Yan's ears reddened and he hastily retracted his gaze.

Thankfully Meng Changzhou had something on his mind and didn't notice the second prince's unusual troubled expression.

Yu Yan cleared his throat and grimly asked, "Lord Meng has nothing to tell me?"

Meng Changzhou paused in drinking his tea.

He was still a foreign ambassador after all, so he quickly regained his composure and even pressed out a smile towards Yu Yan. "This official is unclear to which thing your Highness is asking about."

Too lazy to waste time with him, Yu Yan straightforwardly stated, "Nothing much. Just that there were some assassins wanting to kill this prince yesterday night and were captured by my guards."

Meng Changzhou was stunned. "Who has the guts to harm Your Highness' life? Luckily, Your Highness has the protection of the divine heavens and came out safe and sound."

He paused, then continued on, "Why doesn't Your Highness give those men to this official. I will investigate them thoroughly and catch the masterminds."

Yu Yan kept silent.

He stared steadily at Meng Changzhou, leaning forward slightly and gave a thoughtful smile. "So you know that those who want to kill me aren't mountain bandits ah?"

Meng Changzhou's face stiffened.

The air inside the room became rather stagnant. The sounds of gossip, the neighing of horses outside, and the footsteps of the guards patrolling became extra loud.

Yu Yan peered into Meng Changzhou's eyes. The smile previously on his face disappeared without a trace, leaving behind only iciness.

This look made Meng Changzhuo remember the current emperor. The innate majesty of the man, intolerant of anyone's underestimation.

In fact, today's situation was nothing more than the result of the emperor's severe illness, the empty position for the crown prince, and the ministers having their own factions.

Yu Yan was born intelligent, having both talent and means. He was the first choice for the crown prince

It was just that his birth mother was a prostitute.

How could the royal bloodline be inherited by a person of such lowly origin?

Meng Changzhou's lips turned white. Only after a long time did he say in a strained voice, "What does Your Highness mean by this, why don't you say it directly?"