25. Institute Issue

Start from the beginning

We all headed deeper in,

We managed to let the civilians escape and took out all the synth soldiers and anyone else that raised a gun at us,

I was bloodied and bruised but so was everyone else, my armour banged up and marked from gunpowder and explosions.

Soon the whole lobby was cleared and Sturges voice called through the intercom,

"Hey there general, I found the reactor... looks like you gotta get yourself to the Advanced System area. Only, well, its locked. I cant override it from here, looks like it can only be opened from the Directors Personal Terminal..."

Shaun's...

"You're going to need to get access for it somehow."

(Y/N) looked over at me, her eyes suddenly full of sadness and worry...

We still hadnt finished our conversation about what to do about Shaun...

She took my hand in hers for reassurance, my ring warm and comforting against my finger.

We stepped into an elevator together, just barley fitting with my armour that made us both think about the first time we met.

It reached the bottom, we walked through some confusing hallways and climbed up some stairs, until we reached the main room!

We both rushed to the terminal only to see,

"I didnt expect to see you again..."

Shaun said, his voice was dry and raspy yet he still managed to sound stern.

He looked really pale...

"Come to see the reactor have you? We got it working without you..."

(Y/N) looked down at her son in horror, realising she had to make a choice now...

"I'm here to blow up your reactor Shaun. Put an end to the institute."

Shaun glared back, watching his mothers eyes full with tears.

"Well, atleast theres no need for guessing games now. It's not enough that I lay here dying... now you plan to what, destroy everything? Tell me then. Under what righteous pretense have you justified this atrocity?"

He asked,

His eyes flicked to me then quickly back to his mother,

"Seriously? All the enemy's you've created you cant imagine why I'm standing here?"

She said disbelieving her voice shaking with sadness,

"Perhaps I didnt think to count you among them. Well, none of it matters now, I suppose. You'll accomplish your task and ruin humanity's best hope for the future. The only question left is... why you're standing here. Is it regret? Or did you come here to gloat."

(Y/N) sucked in a sharp breath at Shaun's jab at her,

"Shaun, if you help me, fewer people will die. Will you?"

(Y/N) ask clinging to her hope, hope that her son wasnt an entirely bad man...

"Why would I ever consider helping you?"

He said with a venomous tone,

"Help me and I promise I'll protect any survivors to the best of my ability."

Shaun sighed,

"Very well. The terminal behind me... type in the code 9003, that will disable some of the synths..."