Chapter Thirty-Nine

I get to the doorway of the hangar to see Floch standing with a gun. Crazy bastard. I grab for my own weapon when Mikasa swoops in, cutting him down. My nerves ease a little as he collapses. He never sat well with me as a person, especially after all of this Yeagerist shit started going down.

I turn my attention back to Levi who is staring at the ground. He looks so defeated which isn't a good look on him. I move back over to his side and sit down.

"Who was it?" He asks.

"Floch."

"I'm assuming from your presence that the situation has been handled."

"No, not in the slightest. He's still running around with a gun, just thought I'd sit down." I say sarcastically.

"You've spent too much time with me." Levi comments.

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It is. You would've never become a soldier if it wasn't for me."

I sigh and lean back, looking up at the sky. "I don't think that's true. Erwin wouldn't have let all this talent go wasted."

"Pure dumb luck is more like it."

"I see where I get my bad attitude from." My eyes slip from the sky and out of the horizon.

My whole body freezes as I watch the rumbling approach. Levi follows my gaze, his body tenses up.

I jump from my spot and race back to the hangar. Floch is dead on the ground, guess that's one way to deal with the problem. My eyes search the area, why is the airship not ready yet?

Jean approaches me, seeing the alarm in my eyes. "What's wrong?"

"The rumbling, it's near," I say. "Why isn't this thing ready to go?" I snap.

"Floch caused some damage. We are working the repairs now." Jean explains.

My mentioning of the rumbling catches the attention of the others, they run out onto the deck to see the titans moving toward us.

"I'll buy us some time," Hanji says, checking over her gear one last time.

I grab her by the arm. "Over my dead body, we aren't losing any more people," I say.

She ignores me and looks at Armin, taking him by the shoulders. "I'm appointing you as the next Commander of the Survey Corps."

"Hanji, no," I warn.

She continues to ignore me. "I think Erwin would be proud to see you as a commander and also now you have rule over Levi. Be careful, he's a tough one." She smiles.

I shake her with my strength which finally gives me the attention I need from her.

"You're not going anywhere," I say. "We need you here,"

She gives me a bright smile, that crazy smile I know. "This is a chance for me to get up and personal with these rumbling titans. Learn more about them."

"You are your titans," Levi mumbles from his spot below.

"Please," I beg. 

"I've made my decision and that is to buy you all some time to get out of here." 

I embrace her tightly, holding back the tears. I stare at Jean who is standing behind her. He gives me a sad smile, he knows it and I know it. There is no changing her mind now.

Levi pushes us apart and looks at her. "Devote your heart."

She nods her head before taking off. I watch her, everyone muscle in my body is aching to go after her. Stop her from doing something so stupid, yet I know that once she sets her mind to something, there is no stopping her.