Downhill

A/N: Let me know what y'all think so far!

"I-I was...talking about your handbag," I said quickly, my eyes fixated on the ground. Damn, why did I have to blurt that out? Surely she would think I was crazy obsessed now. I groaned internally.

"I don't have a handbag Malfoy..." Hermione said slowly. I gulped, keeping my eyes glued to the floor. Merlin this was embarrassing.

"Um...well, I meant-"

"That's sweet Draco," she said, cutting my mumbling off. I bit my lip nervously, and glanced up at her. Merlin I loved when she said my name.

"Thanks... Hermione," I whispered. Not knowing what came over me, I reached out a hand towards her and gentle grabbed her hand. It felt so forward, but when she didn't snatch it back in repulsion, I couldn't help but smile.

I didn't even see it coming, as a fist collided soundly with my jaw. I flopped into the wall beside me, staggering and disorientated. I blinked to try and clear the black spots dancing across my eyes, and managed to make out an angry, red headed Weasley with his fist drawn back, ready to punch me again.

"Get your hands off of my girl!" He yelled, pushing me flush against the wall. He held me pinned there, and drew his fist back. Panicked, I shoved against him, but he was stronger than me and barely moved.

"Ronald Weasley!" Hermione screamed shrilly, making both of us snap our heads in her direction. "How DARE you punch my boyfriend! And how DARE you call me your girl. I am NO ONE'S GIRL! You are just a prejudiced, arrogant, little toe rag! I don't want to see you again and you better hope that you don't see me." She had her wand drew and pointed at him. While Weasley was a stupid jerk, he wasn't stupid enough to cross Granger when she had her wand drawn. Hell, even her fist did enough damage, I thought, remembering last years incident with her.

"Let him go," She snarled, pointing her wand right in front of his face. He huffed before releasing me.

"This isn't over," He growled, before storming off.

"Are you alright?" the witch asked me, her expression soft with concern.

"Yeah. It was just a little hit anyways. My jaw is not broken or anything," I stood up and gingerly touched at my bruising face. It did in fact hurt terribly, but I couldn't tell Granger that. She'd kill Weasley, I knew it.

"You know you will see him again, right?" I asked, looking down at her.

"I know," She replied sighing, "But I have an idea for when that does happen. But for now, let me help you." She moved her wand and gently touched my jaw with it. After muttering a few spells, the pain in my jaw stopped and I sighed in relief.

"Thanks Granger. I didn't want to say anything, but it had hurt. Of course, not as much as your punch to my nose last year," I teased, eliciting a laugh from her.

"I almost forgot about that. It's crazy how quickly things, and people can change..." She looked up at me and gently touched my face. Her cold fingers were soothing against my burning skin.

Before getting too carried away, I cleared my throat. "Are you going to buy that dress do you think?"

"I think so. I do really like," she smiled and gently touched the material between her slender fingers.

"Let's go and buy it and then go for a Butterbeer. Is that fine with you? It'll be my treat!" I said, winking at her.

She giggled and replied, "Sure! I'll just change and then I'll go and pay for it." She walked back into the changing room and emerged back in her normal clothes a few minutes later. She had the dress back in the box and walked up to the counter with it. Her eyes darted to a pair of blue earrings on the counter. After hesitating for a second, she checked the price of it before her face fell slightly and she put them back down. Making a mental note of that, I waited while she paid for her dress, absentmindedly looking around the store. I still needed some dress robes for the ball... I'll just go again next weekend, there had already been far too much drama here today.