Change

AN: This is a rewrite of The Fire Within, published by Kaloge on Fanfiction.net. I have permission to post here. It was a story that had been finished and published  six years ago, which was decided to return and make some changes to it. After rereading it, along with the wonderful feedback received from the original story, the decision to update it to improve its length and quality  is one I believe everyone will like! So please enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

I sat alone on one of the benches lining the corridor, gazing out at the Black Lake below. It was a calm day, and hardly a rippled graced the water's surface. So much had happened last night, I could barely wrap my head around it. Hence why I was alone, in a deserted hallway, left solely with my thoughts. The sound of quick footsteps withdrew me from my reverie, and I turned my head to see Potter walking briskly towards me. His face looked slightly agitated, and his eyes were cold.

"What do you want Potter?" I sneered, as he stopped in front of me.

"I need to talk to you Malfoy," he replied, his jaw locked tightly. I usually had to provoke this type of anger from him, so frankly I was very confused. Things had been tolerable between us as of late.

"About what?" I asked him, confused.

"What happened at the Yule Ball last night." I felt my blood grow cold and my heart dropped to the very farthest pit in my stomach. Oh Merlin, last night...

Three Weeks Earlier

"Who are you going with Hermione?" Ron asked her for at least the tenth time that class. Hermione rolled her eyes, and kept her head down, furiously working away on her Potions homework.

"I already told you that I won't be telling you!" She replied shrilly, clearly irked at the constant badgering. "Now, if you don't mind, I have some work to do."

"I don't think she's going with anyone," Ron whispered to Harry. I glanced over to see if Granger had heard that and I guess she did because I saw her eyes start to glisten. Merlin, that twat would never give her a break.

"Professor, may I please go to the Lavatory?" The brunette asked Professor Snape. He glanced lazily down at her, his ever present grim expression plastered on his face.

"If you must," he drawled coldly. She immediately hopped off her chair and practically sprinted out of the room.

The door hadn't even closed behind her when I blurted out, "Professor, I have to use the Lavatory." Snape glanced over at me and nodded that I could go. I raced out of the room and ran down the hall. I saw the tail end of a black robe whip around the corner and followed in hot pursuit. I ran quickly and finally caught up with her, just as she was about to enter an empty classroom.

"My my Granger, playing with the rules are we?" I drawled, as I leaned against the stone door frame.

"No, I asked to go out. I doubt you did Malfoy," She mumbled, turning to leave. I grabbed her arm and whipped her around to face me. Her eyes were slightly puffed up, and her face was splotched with red.

"Look, I heard what happened between you and Weasley. I-I want to help," I mumbled. "Meet me at the top of the Astronomy Tower at nine o'clock tonight. Don't be late." I release her arm and turned to strut back to class. I glance out of the corner of my eye and notice that she is still standing in front of the empty classroom door. Poor Granger. Wait, did I just think that?

I walked into the dreary dungeon and a few minutes later, Granger walked back in as well. She didn't look like she had been crying, so she probably had used magic to make it look that way. Or perhaps my charm just made her feel better? I smirked to myself. I finished smashing the last beetle for my Girding potion and glanced at the table ahead of me. Granger was already cleaning up her station. I hated how she was always one step ahead of me.