Chapter 25

George was his friend, Sapnap once told me. Now here he was, demanding that DreamXD help me. Help Dream.

DreamXD looked down at the man before him and shook his head. "I will not."

Come on George, I silently cheered him on.

He put his hand on his arm, "We are friends, remember? Friends help each other out."

It was a miracle I realized all over again. It was a miracle when DreamXD walked back over to me, to Dream's body. When he put his hand back on Dream's forehead.

I looked towards George, but he wasn't looking at me. Instead his eyes were peeled on Dream, his best friend.

I wonder how long it has been since he saw him, from what I have heard he never felt inclined to visit him in prison. Maybe that's why he became friends with DreamXD. Maybe he too was trying to find a man powerful enough to break him out.

George's eyes turned towards me and he dipped his head. Not big enough for DreamXD to notice but enough to know he was still on our side.

I wonder if it was hard for him to hide his allegiance from the powerful man. If he found it hard sometimes to remember the lines between who he is and who he pretends to be.

He crossed over it today when he asked him to bring Dream back, I can only hope that it won't cause him too much trouble.

DreamXD finished and got back up to his feet, "It's done."

I didn't thank him. I didn't say anything as he left with George by his side, who never looked back. 

Maybe he was redrawing the lines that he blurred.

I came back to reality when I heard coughing. Dream coughing.

My eyes widened as I knelt down and propped him up so he could breathe. He coughed a couple more times until his green eyes locked with my own.

I waited, scanning for something else to go wrong. Waited for the shoe to drop, the one that always did. The one that made it impossible for Dream and I to have any peace.

He smiled. Dream smiled at me.

"I made it. I made it to Heaven," he whispered.

I collapsed on the ground and sobbed.

I felt a hand on my back, gently swaying on my back.

So I sobbed some more.

"You swam for me," he whispered. I wonder if he thought if he were to speak louder it would've broken me. "You don't know how to swim."

I didn't know if he said those last words for me or for him. I got up and saw his own eyes getting watery.

"We promised one last fight but I promised to myself it wouldn't be one that we lost," I whispered back to him.

I let another tear fall down my cheek and he reached for it. Gently pushing it away with his thumb.

I stared into those pine-green eyes, ones I never thought would ever look at me again. I looked at his mouth. I thought they would never tell me the things I always need to hear.

I moved my hand to his chest, and felt the most wonderful thing I have ever known. His heart beating against the palm of my hand.

He took his hand and put it atop mine. "Death won't ever do us apart."

Dream took his hand and placed it on my cheek and pulled me into him.

He kissed me and I felt whole again.

The pain will one day go away, but my love for him will last me forever. In life and in death.