Touching Hurt Feelings

Start from the beginning

All of a sudden, someone tapped him on the shoulder. Looking up, he saw it was Jungkook, who had a big grin on his face.

"Hyung, I have a very good one for you!"

"What?" Taehyung asked tiredly.

"You know that time when your voice cracked," Jungkook exclaimed. "You sounded like a dying cow!"

Taehyung stared at him, trying to understand what exactly Jungkook had said. His face got red. He took a quick glance around to see if anybody had heard. Nobody had.

"Jungkook... I... don't have any. Yeah, you win."

Jungkook frowned. "You're supposed to say something back!" He noticed the hurt look in Taehyung's gaze and the smile slowly faded from his face. "Wait... hyung, did I, did I hurt you? It was just a joke, I swear. I-I didn't mean anything bad, I promise."

"It's fine, don't worry about it," Taehyung said. Jungkook reluctantly left, leaving Taehyung to tear himself apart even more.

------

Taehyung didn't talk to Jungkook for the rest of the evening. Jungkook didn't know what to say. Seeing how upset Taehyung looked, he knew he had said or done something wrong, but he didn't know how to approach the situation.

Jungkook felt guilty. He thought Taehyung had been aware that the whole roasting game was just supposed to be fun and silly, but obviously Taehyung had taken something to heart.

He didn't know what to do.

------

"Did something wrong Taehyung?" Namjoon asked. "You're normally not this quiet."

"He's upset about the mistake that he made today," Jimin said. "I tried to explain to him that it's okay and not a big deal, but he didn't listen and..."

"It takes some time Jimin. You can't just get over things that easily," Jin said. He glanced at Taehyung. "It really is okay though Tae."

"I know it's just..." Jimin sighed.

Jungkook glanced at Taehyung, who was looking down at his lap. He looked so upset. The guilt choked Jungkook up even more. He really shouldn't have said that to him. He hadn't known that Taehyung had gotten so disappointed in himself. Jungkook wouldn't have said it if he had known!

"Go get some sleep Taehyung," Yoongi said. "If you get some rest, this miserable feeling will pass."

Taehyung nodded. He rose wordlessly from the dining table and headed off to his hotel room. He didn't say anything to anybody. Jungkook twisted his lip watching him leave. He needed to do something to make it up to him... it was nagging at his mind now.

"He'll be okay soon, don't worry guys," Hoseok said.

"He needs some time to himself, yeah," Jin said. "He'll be fine."

The others didn't know about Jungkook's little comment. Thankfully they didn't or else Jungkook would have to feel the guilt ten times as worse.

------

Jungkook went to bed an hour later. The others had continued talking about the concert and what things they wanted to fix for next time, but he hadn't contributed much. He felt disconnected.

When he did finally get back to his room and get into his bed, he still felt that way. His heart was thumping hard. The guilty feeling was just as strong. Jungkook briefly thought of texting Taehyung but decided against it. Taehyung probably wasn't going to see it until the morning anyway. Maybe Taehyung was already asleep.