Unexpected Interview Results

Start from the beginning

Yeah, he likes to eliminate competition for his craft.

I looked to see that during the period of this heartful conversation, Mrs. Razdan had been surveying me like Miranda Priestly surveyed Andy the first day of work in The Devil Wears Prada. Her eyes went over my face and my currently wet hair, my old t-shirt and the shorts and turned to look back at my eyes, almost seeming to confirm the fact that what I lacked in beauty I made up for it in brains.

"And this is my mother." I came back to reality as Dhruv introduced his Mother to Ma, who now looked much calmer. Her smile was no longer as bemused as before.

What was she thinking?

She seemed to be under control.

Of what?

"I am sorry for dropping in this late", Mrs. Razdan said calmly. "I just had some things to discuss with you, if you have the time."

"Of course." Ma said smoothly. "Please sit down. Dhriti- uh-" she looked at how insane I currently looked and sighed. "Change."

For once, I agreed.

Avoiding everyone's eyes, I dashed to my room, wondering if this was part of an elaborate prank.

I threw open my wardrobe door to find, curses, she has given everything for laundry!

Laundry Thursday. The day my mother throws all my civilization clothes to the laundry person who irons it up. Fridays were casual wear at Kleitos so this made logistical sense. 

But now, all I was left with was a bunch of ratty shirts!

What do I do?

In desperation, I poked around my room, looking for something- anything that was remotely wearable in my current state and picked up a soft t-shirt of my favourite Movie and grey tracks with it.

This will do.

Ma might not agree but it's laundry Friday so it's out of my hand.

I pulled my hair up to a high pony and tried to make it artful by letting the natural curls set in. I quickly brushed compact over my face and added a soft pink lip gloss and sighed, satisfied.

You come at 10pm, then this is what you get.

Dhriti Discount offer- clearance sale.

Sniggering at the joke, I walked back out to see the odd setting in the hall. Ma sitting on the chair, facing the two who seemed extremely out of place here.. I was almost convinced that I was seeing wrong.

Both of them looked at me as I sat down.

"Mrs. Razdan was just telling me that you two...have gotten closer", Ma's voice had reached the level of eerie calm that abruptly terrified me.

She was going to kill me after this, wasn't she?

"That's...not...true." I mumbled, barely audible.

She turned to look at me with a smile. "I am sorry, can you repeat it please?"

I stole the other two a quick look; Dhruv now looked alert while his Mother looked unfazed.

"I-"

"Its true", Dhruv answered smoothly, his rich voice carrying way more effective than my stuttering at the moment. Ma's gaze swept to him to find him looking at her without any fear. "We are."

Uh- in what universe bro?

The one where you behave like you're made of stone?

The one where you called me insufferable?