"What are they deciding on?" I gave her an apologetic look.

"I can't talk about it until they make their final decision; I'm sorry. I'll be able to talk about it once I'm back home for dinner this evening." Anita gave me an understanding look and didn't question me any further. Which I am entirely grateful for.

Soon the kids and Mila were downstairs. The kids were eating breakfast, and Mila had just started drinking her coffee since she had finished drinking her cup of blood. I looked around at everyone, the kids and Mila were smiling, talking about something, and you would think I would smile too. I couldn't, though, because I looked at this moment and I felt disassociated from it. Everything felt off. I looked over and caught Anita's look, and I could tell she was feeling the same. Both watching but not really hearing what was being said. Sitting right beside them all, but not really there.

The drive to work felt longer than usual. It felt like time was lengthening all of a sudden. It was moving at the same speed it always did, but when I was looking out at everything, for some reason, it was in slow motion. I didn't realize how off I truly felt until Anita mentioned it this morning. My instincts were trying to tell me something was wrong, and I was going crazy because I couldn't figure out what it was that was causing me to feel this way. Maybe it just had to do with this big decision the council would make; maybe it was something else. All I know is I hope it has nothing to do with the people I love.

"Hey, Em. Are you ready for this?" I scoffed at Lance.

"Not one bit. Whatever they decide is going to have a huge impact. Regardless there will probably be backlash. And you already know that it will be us who have to deal with whatever mess they cause." He threw his arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah, you're right. But hey, at least we'll be doing it together. Now let's rip the bandaid off and get in there." I picked up his arm and took it off of my shoulder.

"Let's get this over with." I huffed out. I am not looking forward to this.

"So, we have all come to a decision." The council members were all at their own podiums. Leaders from all across the Earth and Alium were on the screens.

"After careful consideration. We have all decided to close the portals to Alium." Then, the people who were present in the conference room started murmuring.

"Quiet down, please." The main person on the council looked over at everyone in the room. Once it was completely quiet again, they continued. "We will make this announcement today over every form of communication. Every supernatural being must remain on Earth. Earth is now officially quarantined from Alium." Fucking great. I leaned over to Lance.

"Damage control is going to be massive," I whispered out to him.

"Yeah, we're fucked." I couldn't agree more, brother, couldn't agree more.

"Are there going to be any exceptions?" I asked my thoughts aloud.

"I could see some possible exceptions for some supernatural beings to be granted asylum to Alium. You and Lance stay after, and we can decide on what exactly those exceptions will be." I nodded and didn't say another word. They carried on with the rest of the meeting. Briefing all of us on the number of infected people and the current death toll. Everything they were addressing was all around depression news; nothing was good.

"Now, Emma; Lance." The council acknowledged both of us by looking at both of us as they said our names. "What do you think some exceptions should be?" I had been racking my brain around exceptions most of the meeting.

"I have a couple of suggestions. One, families visiting and having a permanent residence in Alium, pending a test before they go back. If they are negative, they can go back to Alium. Two, families with kids. Any family trying to keep their kids safe, again only if they all test negative, I believe, should be granted asylum to Alium. Of course, as it goes on, we can think of more exceptions, but right now, those are the main ones I'm thinking about at this moment." The council members started whispering amongst themselves.

"Lance, do you have any suggestions?" He nodded.

"I do. Pregnant woman. I feel they should be able to go to Alium." I looked over at him. I should have thought of that. Again the council members were whispering amongst themselves.

"We accept these exceptions. All other exceptions you both may think of must be brought to us first before finalizing them. All applications will go through a process, and you both will look it over once more before passing it along to us for final approval. We will announce the portals to Alium closing and the current exceptions that could grant people asylum into Alium. You both are dismissed, thank you." We immediately got up and made our way out of the room.

"This is going to be a shit show and a half," I said to Lance as soon as the doors closed behind us.

"Yeah, it is. I say we head home early because come tomorrow. We won't be getting home till late." I nodded in agreement with him. We locked up our offices and walked out to cars together.

I decided that I would pick up the kids instead of Mila. She's been stressing a lot lately about her grand opening tomorrow and hiring new employees. I'm glad she has Lori to help her out. I know she's always been a huge help. I still remember when she first came into our lives, and she's grown into a very strong woman. I'm very proud of her. I'm very happy that Mila promoted her too. She definitely deserves it.

"How was school?" I asked the twins as soon as they got buckled up.

"It was alright. I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. Do you think Asha will be able to stay over?" I shook my head no.

"No, I'm sorry. She and her grandma are heading to some lake house that they own. They are going to spend the weekend there and spread some of Asha's mom's ashes." Alyx just gave a sad expression.

"Oh. Okay then." The car became quiet after that. Nothing but silence until the announcement came over the radio. It was exactly what we had talked about in the meeting. They said the portals to Alium were closing; every supernatural being on Earth is now quarantined here and to be kept from Alium in hopes that the virus won't spread there. They also went over the exceptions that could grant them asylum. I already know this is going to be an absolute nightmare come tomorrow. I'm glad Mila isn't doing her grand opening till later in the evening tomorrow because I know that I'll be staying late after work.

Getting home, we fell into our regular routine. Anita cooked a wonderful dinner, and we all discussed the closing of the portals. I could feel the stress rise within Mila, but her mom helped her stay grounded. I'm thankful that Mila's mom is here. I don't think she realizes how much she is truly helping us out. When Mila told me that she was staying longer, relief washed over me. That night when I went to bed, it was different. I let what Mila's mom said repeat over and over in my head like a mantra; "Just keep breathing." For some reason, just those few words helped me find sleep.