The man in question looked at them both and after a long moment without saying anything, mumbled something in Italian and left the office.

"He's an intense man," she muttered inadvertently aloud.

"He's a good man," the doctor defended him.

But she already knew that firsthand. Timothy Giannato was a good man. Irritating and flirtatious, bringing out her temper and overwhelming her ideas, but he was certainly a good man. To be willing to pay for a medical consultation and stay to make sure she wasn't charged, far from it, said quite a bit about someone.

She was a stranger to him. Timothy had no business giving her his help. More so to her who he knew was not someone easy to get along with or to be liked.

Her mother always told her so.

"That impulsiveness will make no one love you. You must think everything through before you say it Melody."

"If someone loves me, they will, even if I say anything, because they will know I don't mean it in a bad way."

"Not every day we have the same mood or the same willingness to put up with slights from the people we love," her mother had once told her.

Dr. Troy was a vastly different man from Timothy, although there was no other man like him, even if I had him made.

Troy must have been past thirty, had whitish receding hairline of what was obviously gray hair on both sides of his head, a piercing, curious look, blue eyes, and a slightly broad nose. His chin had a little stripe down the middle, the kind that is striking to female eyes, but at that moment, to Melody, he was just another man.

"So," he said, clearing his throat, "is the father involved with the pregnancy?"

"No and I don't understand what the point is."

"I'm opening a record on the baby and its development; I should know everything about him."

"You're not opening a record because I'm not coming back," she told him in confusion. "Just like Timothy told you, I'm just coming in for a quick checkup, so you can tell me everything is okay, because I felt a pain a while ago while I was working."

"I'm ordering you a pelvic sonogram to rule out any abnormalities. You look fine to me, to be honest. To me, you're just finishing the first trimester and that's why you got that little spasm."

"You don't have a vagina, so excuse me, but don't call it a little spasm," it pissed her off that he minimized her pain, as she, and only she knew how much it had hurt.

"I don't. You're right Melody, but I also know quite a bit about babies and pregnant women. I've delivered over twenty children in less than three years. I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to ..."

"Vaginas and wombs," she said.

"Pregnancies," he corrected her, smiling.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. I can see why Timothy is with you," the doctor said smiling and shaking his head back and forth slowly as he wrote in his notebook.

"He's not with me," she didn't know how the doctor had come to that conclusion, no one in their right mind seeing the two of them, would think that someone like her would be with such a rich and attractive guy, as Timothy was.

"Excuse me. It's none of my business. Let's get back to what concerns me."

"No," she reined him in. Opening her eyes wide and accentuating each word. "Timothy and I are not together. No... he..."