zero.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐙𝐄𝐑𝐎

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐙𝐄𝐑𝐎. | ❛ Astray ❜

1864, New York.

STREAKS OF SUNLIGHT PENETRATED THE SQUARE WINDOW, blinding Jamie from her slumber. Slowly opening her eyes, she blinked and squinted her eyes as she tried to adjust her surroundings while lying flat down on her back. A tired groan escaped from her lips, feeling her muscles sore and the buzzing in her brain didn't make it any easier. Turning her head to the side, Jamie narrowed her eyes at the wide door facing her.

The door's structure seemed monstrously polished, a rather ugly brown color smeared on the entry, pulling her back from reality. She shot up from her lying position and sat down, a frown plastered onto her face as she looked around the unfamiliar space. There was a single metal bed at the corner of the room, a tiny wooden nightstand beside the bed, and a mirror hanging on the wall right beside a bathroom.

With a shaky breath, Jamie stood up, her wobbly legs pushing her up as she tried to ignore the stinging pain in her chest. Having a hand over her throat, she felt her pulse rise. Shivers entered down her spine, her skin breaking into goosebumps as she took cautious steps towards the door.

Placing her head onto the door, she slightly flinched at the cold sensation while trying to listen to any sounds or voices behind the door. Hearing indistinct mutters from outside, she brought her trembling hands on the door handle as she slowly opened the door. Surprisingly, it wasn't locked which made her heart hammer, making her contemplate if she should stay in the room or discover the unknown environment instead.

The door made creaking sounds, making her curse under her breath as she tried to be quiet as possible. Inching her head closer to the door, Jamie popped her head out and did a double-take. With a shaky sigh, she left the room and locked the door gently before sauntering towards the undisclosed place.

The dust and cobwebs on the walls made her shudder. A feeling of uneasiness washed over her body making her breathing more shallow and heavy as she walked past new faces, all looking at her as if she was an alien. A crimson painted her cheeks and looked down at her feet, trying to ignore the intense looks she was given whilst finding a way out.

The endless walls and multiple doors were overwhelming and Jamie wondered if her parents knew where she was. They must be worried sick and she let out a small scoff, imagining her mother pacing back and forth in their small living room as her father listened to her worries about her child's departure. She groaned internally, feeling frustrated at the fact that she had no memory of being put in the room, hence being withdrawn to an unknown place for untold reasons.

Feeling like an eternity of walking through the long hallway and infinite doors, when in reality it was only a few minutes, Jamie finally walked past a wide door. A flush of coldness through her, making her clench her jaw as she paused, her wide eyes taking in the busy residence from the stairway. Putting her hands inside her warm sleeves, she took hesitant steps till she reached the railing, her hands placed on the cold metal.