Ch 5: You came like a dream (5)

Start from the beginning

I’m sure I told Mary to properly lock the door. The Countess gritted her teeth and glared at the door. Butler Geran’s voice echoed from the other side.

“I’m sorry, Madam. But a guest suddenly came this evening.”

“Who is it?”

“It’s Lady Acilla Duncan.”

If you live in the Ederka Empire and didn’t know the name Duncan, then you’re a spy. Recognizing the name of the successor of the richest family in the Empire, the Countess calmed her rising anger.

It was definitely the name that would make the butler run away in surprise.

“I ask for her understanding that he’s on a business trip.”

“She said she’d like to meet you at least.”

Me? Why me?

That question arose, but Duncan’s successor was too well-known to turn down the request. The Countess clicked her tongue with an airy expression. She tried to throw the cane on the floor and stared at the trembling child.

“The mouse is dead.”

“Yes, yes.”

“…No.”

She grabbed Ronell’s back and dragged her to the next room. Surprised by her overly light weight, she threw the child into the closet on one wall.

“Ma-Madam, I’ll do my best. Please do—”

The door slammed shut before her petty pleading was over. I don’t want to hear it, she kept repeating it over and over in her mind.

She even locked it while she was at it. It would be disgraceful if that child comes out and ruins the VIP’s visit. Just thinking about a scandal that will spread in the social world is killing me.

She threw the cane randomly on the floor, and when she came out, the butler hurriedly bent his back. The woman rolled the key she was holding and asked a question.

“Where is she?”

“She’s waiting in the drawing room on the 2nd floor.”

“Okay.”

Even if she is the successor of a family that controls the economy of the Empire, it just shows how much she looks down on the Count’s family when she comes without asking for a visit. I have to say something sarcastic.

She arrived in front of the reception room where she was guided and opened the door.

“Huh?”

“Uh, where did she go…?”

Damn it!

The Countess hurriedly turned her feet and ran with an ominous premonition. A corner of her heart was terrified, and her eyes seemed to turn frantic as she turned back and went toward the way she had come from.

No, I don’t think so. No way.

Don’t tell me she went crazy and is now snooping in another family’s mansion. For her to have such courtesy as common sense—

“You’re late.”

In front of the door of the room where the illegitimate child is trapped, a woman was standing quietly. A white cat was gently wagging its tail beside her.

“Lady Duncan, why are you here—”

“Are you here, Mitchell?”

“I’m sorry I’m late, my Lady.”

The Countess turned around in dismay. A woman wearing horn-rimmed glasses passed by her and approached Acilla Duncan. Who the hell is she? There was no choice but to surrender to the new visitor, but the woman began to protest.

“Lady Duncan, how rude of you to—!”

“Your voice is deafeningly loud.”

Acilla shrugged and beckoned her secretary. Mitchell quickly took the cigarette out of her bag and handed it over, and she closed her eyes with the cigarette in her mouth. Black eyelashes resembling chestnuts scattered a mysterious light around the area. It was as bright as gold that glitters brightly through the surface of the water.

As the tip of the cigarette began to burn with green smoke, Acilla pulled it out and turned it around with a smile.

The Countess flinched again. Within the red eyes of the woman standing in front of her, the murderous intent wasn’t dull enough for it to be unnoticed.

“In the mansion of another family—”

“I know, it’s rude.”

“…However, how can you know—”

“So?”

“……”

“So what?”

The next moment, Acilla turned around and precisely kicked the door with her foot. The Countess couldn’t even scream, and her eyes widened.

Acilla went in the room and stepped on the shards without hesitation.

“Here she is.”

She said briefly.

…A faint cry was coming from the closet.

At the sound of the suppressed groan, Acilla narrowed her eyes. Ruby began clawing at the closet door to show that it could not stand it.

“Lady Duncan! You’re rude!”

“Move, cat.”

Acilla ignored the barking woman and gave a cold command. As Ruby scuttled away, she raised her foot again after confirming that the cat had distanced itself.

Clank.

A single kick broke the lock. Acilla threw back the lock that had lost its function and grabbed the handle of the closet door.

The hiccups were loud as if the child inside was surprised.

Mew mew. Open it, Human!

Ruby pounded the floor with its tail to urge her, and Acilla, who was weak against the cat’s nature, took a deep breath and opened the door.

It’s just as expected.

It was horrendous; a child with a messed-up face was crouching down with her hands trying to protect her head. Anger rose from the tear stains on her cheeks.

“Baby.”

The child raised her head very slowly. Looking so frightened, Acilla lamented unconsciously as she peered at the season that had passed.*

(T/N: By ‘the season that had passed’, she was referring to the spring that has already gone by since it’s now autumn.)

Her yellow-green pupils reminiscent of young sprouts shook in her reddened eyes.

It was a crumpled spring.