Chapter 4 - The Bargain - Unfinished

Chapter 4

The Bargain

Lynus awoke several minutes later with Marth kneeling over him.  Marth had taken off his cloak and used it to rest Lynus’ head on, for the first time Lynus saw what Marth was wearing underneath the cloak.  He had expected to see a black robe with mysterious symbols etched upon it, instead he found a plain white robe.  Somehow he felt that white ment something but at the present he couldn’t think what that was.

“You frightened me for a moment there boy, I thought you were suffering the effects of some alement for which I would have to work some mirricle to heal you.  Instead you’d worked yourself up over meeting a wizard.  I’d say you’ve been listening to what the priests say and taking too much notice.  Well I can tell you that I am as much flesh and blood as you are, not some demon spawn as the clergy would have you believe.”  Marth paused as he looked over his patient, then extended his hand to help the boy up.  “I think you had better get up before your father gets back and thinks that I am performing some kind of bizare ritual upon you.”  Lynus looked at the offered hand and hesitated a moment before accepting it.  To his surprise the old man was stronger than he would of thought and contry to what the priests said, Marth’s hand was warm not as cold as ice as he had been told.

Finaly standing upon his feet he steadied himself against the table and began to wonder what he should be doing when he remembered what Marth had asked him before he passed out.  “My Father handles the Money.”  He said, in a rather quiet tone of voice.  Marth looked up from poking in the small bag of food with a slight smile on his lips.

“Ah, so you do have a tounge, I was beginning to think that you were mute.  Yes, well the money is something I would like to take care of now.”  Marth again produced the pouch he had held earlier and pressed it into Lynus’ hands.  “What ever change there is left from my lodgings you may keep for yourself.”  He lifted a hand to still the protest that was already on Lynus’ lips.  “You’ve earned it boy, there’s not many who would fetch a wizard food at this time of night and besides, I’m sure that you could find many good uses for some extra money.”  By now Marth had made good use of the food and had cut off a chunk of bread and dipped it in the ale and began to eat the now sloppy portion.  “If your worried about the pouch, don’t, you can keep it too.  But if you do want to give it back to me you can give it to a friend of mine that will be passing through here in about two weeks time, his name is Jalos and he will be traveling with a Priest, a few soldiers and probably the Duke’s son.  You give it to him and he’ll make sure it gets back to me next time I see him.”