"I must replant the vegetables for food now that the water is contaminated." Rosalind lifted her skirt slightly to step away and treaded back to the house.

"Might we be of assistance," Constance asked, her and Henry standing side by side.

Rosalind turned back with a warm smile. "Of course. I'll be right back and we can get started right away."

While walking, Isaac followed and spoke in low whispers. "Do you actually believe there is evil afoot?"

"Of course not. There must be an explanation for it. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas stuck Merryboy down there to prove a point. Oh, the poor Fier family. I'll have to pay my respects."

Although the girl was handling the situation calmly, Isaac couldn't help but worry. He's heard of bad luck, but all of these events happening in one day? That's one hell of a coincidence.

"I suppose," he muttered. They stopped in front of the house and faced each other. "Say the word and I'll be by your side in a heartbeat. Anything at all."

Rosalind didn't say anything as she placed her hand on his cheek gently, placing a tender kiss upon his heated skin. "Perhaps later you might join us at the garden."

She turned away to go inside, leaving Isaac to ponder. His fingers skimmed over the cheek she kissed before he hurried away to finish his tasks. Inside the house, Caroline was standing by the doorway with a small smirk.

"I saw that."

"I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about." Caroline rolled her eyes while walking back to the kitchen as Rosalind followed with a giggle. "Where's father?"

"Upstairs changing. We've heard Pastor Miller might've fallen ill and I wanted to drop off this soup. I'll tell him you send your condolences."

As Caroline stirred the pot of soup at the stove, Rosalind was rummaging through the drawer for gardening supplies. She stopped momentarily to look at her. "Strange. He seemed fine yesterday."

The woman shrugged. "Things don't seem to be looking up today."

"Alright. I'll see you in the afternoon for lunch." Rosalind placed a kiss on her mother's cheek before departing ways, also bidding goodbye to her father.

When she returned to the garden, Constance and Henry had already begun pulling out the decayed vegetables. They were meant to be with the other children, but the parents would surely understand their reasonings for staying behind to replant the garden.

Unlike yesterday's sunny morning, the day felt dark and gloomy. Everyone trudged throughout the land with a burden on their shoulders and darkness in their minds. They could no long see the blue as they looked up, only being greeted with the grey clouds blossoming in the sky. It felt there was something in the air. Something wicked.

*ੈ

               Rosalind wiped the sweat from her forehead with her arm as she stood up to pat her dirt covered hands on the apron of her skirt. With the three of them working together, they've made good progress so far. Abigail and Lizzie were also to join their side once fixing their damages as well, but were still held up with chores. They'd occasionally glance at the girl, giving pitiful smiles her way.

"I'll see what I can do about getting some food for these hard workers," Rosalind jested.

"Please, do," Josh sighed heavily. "This is not how I imagined my day."

She chuckled and looked around. "Where are the children?"

"With Pastor Miller."

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I thought he fell ill."