Chapter 16

Rhett's POV

Jessie slyly slipped the small blade out of my hand. She headed for the door to go back downstairs.

"I'll be downstairs in a few minutes." I called after her. I slowly rose from my chair and went to the washroom to wipe the tears from my face. I then slowly made my way downstairs.

"Daddy! Come play!" Shep said, running over to me.

"Not now." I replied simply, messing up his hair. I walked over to Jessie where she was cutting up vegetables for dinner. "Do we have any whiskey?" I asked her.

"Yes, but no." She replied. I sighed disappointedly.

"Hey." She said sympathetically. "We'll get through this." She placed her hand on mine. I gave her a small fake smile. I walked over to where Locke and Shep were playing, trying to cheer up the others and Lily, Lincoln and Lando were glumly sitting.

"Hey guys." I said sitting down on the floor next to them. Lando crawled into my lap.

"Can you tell us a story about mom and dad?" he asked. I hesitated.

"Sure." Lando smiled happily and made himself comfortable in my lap. Locke, Shep, Lily and Lincoln, now intrigued, gathered around me. "A little while after we were all married we went on a trip to a beach. Christy was pregnant with Lily so she and Jessie were sitting in the beach chair under an umbrella while Link and I we sitting right where the water could barely touch our toes. We were talking about what our life was going to be like when we grow up. He talked about how scared but also how excited he was for his first child. He talked about all the things he wanted to do and placed he wanted to go with you guys. We were interrupted by Jessie and Christy coming over to us. Christy wasn't feeling well so she was going to go back to the hotel and Jessie was going to join us. Jessie sat down and Christy started heading back. After talking for a few minutes we decided to go back to the hotel with Christy. Christy was walking a little bit ahead of us and we were behind. I didn't see this part happen, only heard Link yell Christy and dash over. He ignored Christy, who was on the ground and was in some guys face that was three times the size of him. He yelled 'what do you think you're doing! Shes pregnant!' Before helping Christy off the ground." I looked at the kids who were intently listening. "That's all I got for you." I said simply. "In every story with Link and Christy they are always fun, loving, caring and the best friends or parents anyone could ever ask for." I felt a tear well up in my eye. "And we're going to miss them." I looked at the kids. Lily was wiping tears from her eyes and Lando buried his face in my chest. Lincoln had wandered off over to Jessie where he was crying. Locke and Shep sad sadly with tears in their eyes while mourning for their honorary aunt and uncle.

"W-when's the f-funeral?" Lily stuttered.

"I don't know yet. We still have to plan it." I said.

"C'mon guys." Said Jessie, breaking the silence caused my sadness and grief. "Lets have dinner."