1

"Now, remember class. You use the glider to control the air currents around you. Once you do that, you have complete control over it." 13-year-old Aang looked over at his friend, Gabby, who stood there trembling as she clutched tightly onto her glider. "You okay?" She nodded. "I'm fine. It's just that I really hate heights."

"But-"

"I'm an Airbender, I know." Gabby interrupted and opened her glider. "I can't do this. I'm gonna throw up." She said. "Just keep repeating to yourself: I can do this." Gabby nodded but then shook her head. "No, no, no I should probably go back with Gyatso."

"I'll run with you." She took a deep breath and began running with the teacher and the Airbenders. "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this, I CAN'T DO THIS!!" She braked to a halt. "Wait!" Aang stopped next to her. "What?!" Before he could blink, she took off screaming. Aang leaped off and glided next to her. "You're doing it!"

 "I am?!" She opened her eyes and looked around. "I'm actually doing it..." Aang laughed triumphantly. "This is great! Now-" It must have been too much for his friend being up so high that she passed out and began falling. 

"Gabby!" Aang caught her on top of his glider and tried his best to land but ended up tumbling over all of the students who had already landed. 

"I don't know why I can't do it." Gabby grumbled. "I guess I'm not cut out to be an Airbender." Gyatso stroked her wavy, dark brown hair. "You'll get it. Although it's odd to see my granddaughter, an Airbender, living all the way up in the mountains, afraid of heights." Gabby chuckled humorlessly. "It really is..."

*3 years later*

"MAYBE YOU'LL THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU TALK TO MY FRIEND LIKE THAT!" 

16-year-old Aang sat at the bottom of a small cliff at the Southern Air Temple reading some scrolls when Gabby's yells echoed throughout the entire mountain range. He looked up and saw her walk right off the cliff without knowing it and next thing he knew, she was hanging upside down from a branch sticking out of the rocks right next to Aang. He smirked. "Shut. Up." She mumbled. He casually plucked out a twig in her hair. "I'm waiting."

"Fine. You're right. I need to control my anger, alright?" He gave her a satisfied smile and continued reading his scroll. He heard a thud on the ground next to her and Gabby stood up and dusted herself off. "I'm alright, I'm alright."

Aang laughed. Gabby couldn't help but blush. Aang noticed her blushing and poked her arm with the twig that he plucked out of her hair. "What's on your mind?" She quickly shook her head. "Nothing." She lied. She couldn't seem to take her eyes off of him. She tried calming her rapid heart beats but it was no use. "Gabby? You...you okay?"

"I-I'm gonna go get ready for dinner." She rushed off to her home. She mentally scolded herself. What was she thinking? Running off like that? Leaving him alone? After dinner, she slipped into her nightdress and sat in bed and picked up a book.

After an hour of reading, she closed her book and was about to blow out the candle when Aang quietly snuck in through her window. "Aang!" She pulled her blanket up realizing her arms were exposed. "What are you doing here?!"

When he came into the candlelight, his face was pale. "I'm leaving. They're taking me away now that I'm of age to start my Avatar training." Gabby sat up. "What?" Aang sat down on a chair and passed Gabby's orange robe to her so she could cover herself up. "I don't want to live like this. I cant." He said to her.

"Then why come here?"

"You're the only person who I can talk to. Please, run away with me." He begged. Gabby took a while to process this. "I'm sorry, what? Aang, I can't just leave. I have a life and family I need to take care of." He slumped in the chair. "Oh, okay then." He slowly got up and climbed back out of the window.

After a couple of minutes, she heard thunder and a bison roar. She looked outside and saw storm clouds gathering. "Oh, no." She tied her belt around her waist and grabbed her glider. She followed Aang out into the ocean. "AANG!" She screamed over the sound of heavy rain.

"GABBY?!" Her glider tipped to the side. "I CAN'T CONTROL IT! THE WIND IS TOO STRONG!" She gasped and spiraled into the water. Aang was about to go in to get her but a loud rumbling sound stopped him. He looked straight and found himself face to-face with a giant wave big enough to drown a mountain.

Before he knew it, he went under. He searched for his friend and found her sinking deeper into the water. He tried swimming down but he was running out of oxygen. He was just about to give up when he felt energy rush through his body and a white glow takes over his eyes.