0.3 - up close and personal

Start from the beginning

"Your Majesty, we didn't expect you-"

"New recruits." The king completely blanked past the commander, looking towards the men behind. "Please, come before me."

And so they did. Almost 20 men ran into an kind of straight ling right in front of both boys, with one fiery black haired recruit just slightly stood back and out of formation. Dream smiled to himself at Sapnaps incompetence, and looked to George for his reaction. But the King was already looking back, with a frown.

"I said, new recruits to come before me. Yet here you are, still stood by my side."

Dream blinked. "I'm in your new personal guard Sir-"

"Are you speaking back?" Dream joined the line speedily. "Right, seeing as you all came here from trained backgrounds there is no need to start from scratch but there's still things to be taught. Halo!"

"Ahh, yes Your Majesty!" The commander came running, tripping over his boots. "The soldiers will train every second day to keep sharp!"

George nodded, squinting. "Good. Good." His eyes met Dreams glare, and he stilled; his body turning to the commander as he stared back. "For today, lets test everyone's skill. I want to see what we are... working with."

"Good idea, Your Majesty! How about we start with duels? Number one and-"

"Seventeen. One and seventeen will start." -He watched Dreams face, but the boy continued his blank look. "If you tap out you loose, and the winner will stay on." George took a smug seat on an elegantly presented -temporary- throne and watched his new personal guard pick up a sword and axe, weighing them up in either hand.

It seemed the cocky-looking first recruit picked the good old fashion sword and shield combo. It was what everyone used in battle, a nice sharp -not too heavy- long sword. The guy made his way to the centre of the circle to wait.

Everyone's eyes turned to seventeen, who seemed to have picked the biggest axe on the rack, and the small round shield that the younger servants would play with on their breaks.

Mr. Halo dug his heel into the mud at the sight. "Soldier! Those weapons aren't appropriate for-"

"No." The King raised his hand, looking to his new warrior. Dream looked confident, too confident. He held himself upright, with a small grin creeping on his face, eyes wide and staring straight ahead. It was as if he had used weapons like this a million times before. Of course he hadn't... but they hung so loosely in his palms with his wrists looking as light as air as he walked forward. And the shield, not even hooked around his arm but held, like he was ready to throw or change position should it come to it at any second. George wasn't an experienced war veteran, no he was still a boy, but he had fought in one or two. He knew the warning signs of someone to stay away from. And Dream was showing them.

Halo tried to protest, but the Kings hand was already in the air. George brushed off the officer, his eyes curious and steady. He wanted to watch this play out. He wanted to see him in action.

"Let him." George observed Dream with vigour. "Now, begin."

The men stepped forward, immediately a sword being swung. Dream side stepped, letting it just skim his shield before kicking the guy in the leg. Number One wobbled back, his face scrunching tighter, before he went in for another attempt. It was like clock work, and with in a few seconds Dream had pushed him to the floor, axe at his neck.

The boy tapped out, and George yawned. "There's no need to be defensive, Seventeen. Fight accordingly. That's an order."

Dream finally turned to his side, eyes hooded by the shadow of his sockets. George could see it now, the prowess radiating from his scowl. His face wasn't just brooding like usual, it was scornful and full of anger. He seemed to tilt his head down, gaze dark and to his feet.